Watch how easy it is to break into this $100 "smart" lock

Truer words were never spoken.

2 Likes

Fixed, thank you!

2 Likes

You don’t need a GoPro mount. Just any flat surface you can lever and some 3M double sided foam sticky tape. You can probably also use rubber and pressure friction to do the same thing, or who knows how many other methods to simply unscrew the twist-off back.

4 Likes

Loaded gun stored in an oven gets too hot and shoots owner - Boing Boing

And no smart lock would have prevented the cook off of the ammo.

But that doesn’t mean smart gun locks are a bad idea. No security is perfect, but that doesn’t mean we give up on security because of that.

The way he pulls the X-acto knife toward his thumb gives me shivers of dread.

3 Likes

The maker uses REAL locks to secure their factory inventory of these smart locks.

1 Like

Totally concur. I was just mocking their shitty design.

1 Like

You’d at least need epoxy and a rubber gasket, since epoxy is pretty easy to dissolve. And even then, rubber can be dissolved too, but at that point it’s easier to attack the shank with an angle grinder or large (but conspicuous) bolt cutters since either would be faster. As you say a good lock isn’t about being impossible to defeat; it’s about being harder to defeat than the neighbors.

Just to be clear, I wasn’t serious about the epoxy in the first place. A biometric padlock is an advertisement you have more money than sense.

2 Likes

A stiff rubber ball about the size of an orange or so works well to remove screw-off waterproof watch backs when you don’t have a proper case spanner. Would probably work on this, too.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’m not terribly surprised. When it comes to something basic like a lock, “smart and fancy”" isn’t really the thing to go for.

For not much more you can get one of these esoteric, but actually very elegantly designed high security locks:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2136537678/bowley-lock-company-inc-high-security-padlock-mode

These are targeted at enthusiasts, but the protection of the keyway is really effective.

1 Like

Those locks are extremely impressive!

But you are right about the target market, since it’d only take $20-$40 worth of tools to get around those $175 padlocks.

1 Like

As said, cordless grinders make most padlocks mere roadbumps to an actual thief. Here’s the best “user friendly” low security padlock around, for $9. I use this on our driveway gate. You can open it with your eyes closed in seconds, as fast as a biometric, and even though it’s not designed to I can reprogram them easily.

1 Like

Perhaps, in the interest of openness, you might want to update this post to note that Zack has since pointed out that the lock he exploited turns out to have been defective?

Umm, yeah. The one lock someone bothers to hack is the only defective one. Uh huh.

3 Likes

Intentionally cutting a lithium ion battery in half is pretty dumb. Those fumes, which you can see coming off of it at 2:55, can turn into hydrofluoric acid in your lungs. And if it causes a fire then you get more fumes, plus, ya know, fire.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.