Watch how omnivore and plant-based diets compare

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/23/watch-how-omnivore-and-plant-b.html

3 Likes

Mercy For Animals is a group that advocates a plant-based diet

This will not be biased at all, I’m sure!

13 Likes

Identify the human-edible foods in this picture:

What does bias mean in this context? Who would be unbiased?

I’m glad to hear somebody advocating reducing use of meat. Sometimes it feels like the binary choice is macrobiotic purity or eternal damnation. I occasionally cook vegetarian, if there’s a recipe I like, but I’ll add a pound of sausage to my chili. Is there a word for that? Impuritarian?

6 Likes

everything; including the mirror

3 Likes

Omnivore, I think.:slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

As always, these comparisons equate ‘meat’ with ‘beef’. All that extra water, grain, and land is going to cows, not chickens. Chicken’s carbon footprint is not substantially different from tofu’s.

I eat a beef-free but pork-and-poultry-heavy diet, and my food footprint is about a third of the average cow-eater’s. http://bogott.net/unspecified/?p=740

7 Likes

the road surface will require a bit of cooking to get it tender enough to eat.

2 Likes

“Joe will save the lives of tens of thousand of animals” Hardly, if we were all primary plant based eaters those animals wouldn’t be born!

3 Likes
6 Likes

:upside_down_face:

Without knowing exactly where this is I could safely say in western N. America there are plenty of wild onions, some tuber/root to fill the camas/potato/wapato spot in the stew pot, most likely a type of sorrel/lamb’s quarter. And in those foothills are bound to be tasty mushrooms and all sorts of nut/seed. All of which will make a lovely meal to go with the side of human-beef jerky made of the occupants of whatever vehicle it is taking the picture.

4 Likes

Plains of San Agustin, New Mexico. Approximately 30 km from the nearest post office. There’s a little bit of wild garlic, but it’s not easy to find (too dry). Almost exclusively bunchgrass, and not a great deal of that. The foothills you mention rise about a thousand meters from the plains (note snow cover) and (again) are too dry for the kind of forest fungi you’re thinking of. The dominant nuts are piñon, and are at best a luxury food that takes more labor to collect and prepare than the calories it contains.

Attempting to live exclusively on plant foods in this area is another way to starve, and that’s not counting the lack of essential vitamins.

3 Likes

One term I have been hearing is “flexitarian”
Any reduction in meat lightens the load on the planet.

5 Likes

The video is targeted at urban dwellers who eat food they don’t hunt, gather or farm; it’s just recommending one corporate slurm-chute over another.

Being in direct contact with one’s means of food production wouldn’t be acceptable to people who can be persuaded to change their lifestyles by a chirpy, feel-good gloss on corporate farming.

1 Like

Despite my joke earlier, I agree with spatley above; any amount of meat reduction is a good thing – for your health, and for the planet. My (vegetarian, not vegan) daughter just got a degree in sustainable agriculture, and she’s enlightened me a bit on the subject … as you might imagine. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A kilogram of tofu sold in the Netherlands produces about two kilograms of carbon-dioxide equivalent (PDF) from the farm to the supermarket. That’s only a little less than Dutch chicken, at 3 kilograms of CO2-equivalent per kilogram of meat.

2:1 rather than 3:1 may be less difference than they expected but it by no means is insignificant.

1 Like

That’s fair. It strikes me as ‘relatively’ insignificant when compared to beef which is something like 16:1 but yeah, if we’re chasing every last pound then tofu is quite a bit better.

2 Likes

If the omnivore dies 9.5 years earlier than the vegetarian, that offsets some of the lifetime difference in resource consumption–not just the resources consumed to produce the omnivore’s food, but also the resources consumed by all aspects of the omnivore’s lifestyle (transportation, electricity, etc.).

4 Likes

There must be some kinds of mushrooms that could eventually handle it, rock-eaters that some are.

1 Like