Watch huge building mechanically walk to its new location

This caters to my interest in nifty solutions in civil engineering and my strange obsession with cantilevered constructions.

1 Like
2 Likes
4 Likes

Well, the Outer Banks are mostly sand piled up over a long period of time.

1 Like

Never give a church legs.

There is an office building in the US that was moved without ever closing it. They set up temporary flexible water, power and sewer for the duration of the move. It moved slowly enough that reportedly nobody inside was too bothered by it. My googling failed to turn up the story, unfortunately so no link.

Going back much further, screw jacks were used to move buildings in the 19th century. Humans have been moving buildings almost as long as we’ve been building them.

It was often a DIY situation too. My grandfather jacked up their house himself to dig a basement under it many years after it was built. This was necessary for indoor plumbing, which was added many years into their living there (he also built the house).

3 Likes

Foundations? in China? There is no need as we don’t see them.
unnamed

1 Like

I expected a visualization of Vernor Vinge’s account of hackers making the UCSD Theodore Geisel (Dr Seuss) Library building walk away. I’m disappointed.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.