Watch Jeopardy!'s Alex Trebek saying "genre" over and over and over

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/09/watch-jeopardys-alex-trebek-saying-genre-over-and-over-and-over.html

4 Likes
2 Likes

Or … was he right and the rest of us have all been saying it wrong? I know how I vote …

1 Like

He’s “right” in that it’s a borrowed French word and you’re certainly not supposed to hit the G or the N so hard in French. This is how I used to pronounce it when I was a French Canadian kid learning English.

He’s “wrong” in that the more common pronunciation has become “djawn-ruh” and language is ever evolving so the common way to pronounce something tends to become the accepted way to pronounce something over time.

3 Likes

Coming from one of the leaders of his ‘John-ear’, I loved this tribute a ton. Thanks for sharing.

Déjà vu:

I’d love to know how Bret Favre pronounces it. “Jarn”, I would assume.

3 Likes

Outtakes.

Careful. There’s some coarse language here!

5 Likes
1 Like

That’s a pile of flyin’ horse nickels, everybody knows it’s pernounced Jean-ray, least ways round these parts.

*sound of spittoon rattling from a particularly vigorous chaw expectoration

1 Like

There’s a cheaply made documentary series from the 90’s called “100 Years of Horror” and it features the host (the late, great Christopher Lee) saying “Genre” like “Jawn” a whole lot. What a great word.

2 Likes

At first it sounded like he pronounces it the way I do, but listening to it over and over again it kinda morphed into “zharr” in my ears. One syllable. I pronounce it two syllables, like zhahn-re, but still similar.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.