Watch man brazenly shoplift at Walgreens while TV news is in the store reporting on brazen shoplifting

…because a independent drug store owner would just shoot the shit out of them like in The King of Staten Island?

I guess the specter of death might curtail some shoplifting

2 Likes

They also tried a few years back to move their headquarters to Switzerland to avoid paying taxes, and only called it off following a huge public backlash.

2 Likes

Not at all what I was suggesting, but ok. I guess that’s another way to read things.

W.C. Fields jokes aside (the penny candy bit), what’s stopping stores from going back to the “point to it on the shelf” method, sometimes behind plexiglass?
I’d definitely prefer a local shop owner over a chain like Walgreen’s, but I have no issue with protected goods before the point of sale.

3 Likes

I don’t understand why a variation on this hasn’t become standard or at least common in the pandemic, not even related to theft. The only places I patronize are the ones where I can stay outside. I’d love to be spending too much money at my corner liquor/convenience store than Bevmo or Amazon or Vons, but no one has thought to: put a table at the front door (most places are keeping their doors open anyway), have kid take orders and bag them (the kids could call it “retro”), then I can pay without having to go inside, and they don’t have to have plague-carrying customers inside where they work. Shoplifting would be reduced to zero. It’s a win-win for everyone, and I’ve seen it exactly zero places.

3 Likes

Plenty of stores around me do curbside pickup-order online, call when you get there, the order is placed in your car. Most also do delivery.

1 Like

Thank you! I’m two blocks away and it’s night and day between the two stores. You’re assessment is correct. Walgreens cut corners at that store because they wanted the location to close so now it’s closing.

2 Likes

We’ve always had an armed security officer in the Walgreen’s near my house in Mattapan. Just makes sense seeing how they have opiods in the pharmacy.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.