Watch Margaret Atwood take a flamethrower to an unburnable copy of The Handmaid's Tale

Originally published at: Watch Margaret Atwood take a flamethrower to an unburnable copy of The Handmaid's Tale | Boing Boing

8 Likes

i wonder what Ray Bradbury would think… :fire:

12 Likes

As I mentioned in another thread, this is a cool idea but the page material is aluminum-based and probably melts at about 660 degrees C. A bonfire can easily reach 900 degrees C. So don’t go throwing this on a big pile at a book-burning event and expect it to make it unscathed.

8 Likes

More of this please. Atwood is as badass as they come.

12 Likes

Support of free expression except for students naming those who have behaved inappropriately toward them :face_with_monocle:

Seriously? Now?

All heroes have feet of clay. Now is hardly the time to ride the Purity Pony.

In my opinion.

13 Likes

I hope they didn’t get that “flame thrower” from Elon.

5 Likes

Fahrenheit One-Thousand-Two-Hundred-Twenty isn’t really a title that rolls off the tongue.

8 Likes

Litmus tests as a rule often reveal impurity of some kind, I prefer to step back and take a wider look at a person and their travails in life, giving a more clear picture to better make ones mind up. Squeaky clean humans are not necessarily the best authors, even if such a thing does exist, it’s the flawed authors/ones that have been on both sides of the life’s fence that give a greater observation of a topic.

7 Likes

That he got the flashpoint of paper wrong back then?

2 Likes

That is pretty cool.

Can someone explain what “black Cinefoil dust jacket and white heat shield foil pages,” is?

1 Like

Yeah, but materials selection is still pretty damn cool.

1 Like

ponies

8 Likes

Favourite moment: When Doug Ford thought she was complimenting him.

“These are not stupid people,” she said. “Don’t make the mistake of thinking that the Fords are stupid. They’re not stupid. So given that they’re not stupid, they will think this through.”

6 Likes

This is all a bit silly. I don’t see any real sign in the video that the book is getting hot. However, I must say Ripley - whoops, sorry - Atwood looks good with one of those.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.