Watch: Never ever turn your back on a lion

Originally published at: Watch: Never ever turn your back on a lion | Boing Boing

13 Likes

Never turn your back on a lion, unless you happen to be best of friends.

18 Likes

I’m sure this kind of thing is fine, and you can afford to misjudge the situation at least one time.

22 Likes

Let’s hope this ends better than the whole Timothy Treadwell, “Grizzly Man” debacle.

14 Likes

Just in case anyone missed it:

2 Likes

And so for all felines apparently. i think i’ve even seen this behavior in felis catis/domesticus. Anyway, wear backward facing masks even when at work; that way HR won’t sneak up on you

13 Likes

I think you are being overly stringent. Certainly, three times is a fair enough amount of times to misjudge the situation. Only on the third misjudgement should anything untoward occur.

But seriously how can a layman tell if he really does know what he’s doing, or if he’s a Grizzly Man-type ‘expert’ who knows what he’s doing until hard facts intervene and it’s determined that he doesn’t know what he’s doing?

2 Likes

Oh shit, that guy turned into dinner.

5 Likes

Hands down one of THE funniest films ever made.

1 Like

Applies to all big cats.

7 Likes

Wonderful how the body language is so similar to a playful house cat. The cost for me misreading when my guy (The Mad Kitten Abdul Alhazred) wants to play vs when he’s contemplating eating me is much lower than is the case with this fellow’s feline friend though. I think I’ll stick with the smaller versions.

9 Likes

One rule of thumb might be, if you think there is a safe way to frolic with a 400lb purpose-built killing machine with a mouth full of knives, you’re probably not in group 1.

4 Likes

Came here to post this:

Even with domestic cats: they may not pounce on you, but your dinner could suffer a serious licking.

4 Likes

Whatever happened to him?

4 Likes

For me Grizzly Man is a sad movie. I’ve talked to too many people who over identify with animals to the point of emotional breakdown for it to be funny.

Project Grizzly on the other hand is pure comedy: Project Grizzly by Peter Lynch - NFB

2 Likes

Treadwell didn’t grow up with and bond with the grizzlies from birth.

The lion guy here has a video where he explains how he became part of the pride. He talks about respect, being firm with them, speaking their ‘language’…and then 90% of the way in he mentions that yeah, he raised them from cubs. Which is the only way what he does would ever be possible.

4 Likes

This makes me wonder about the approach used by Siegfried & Roy.

4 Likes

Is it supposed to be ironic that the video is sponsored by Audible but the rest of it has no sound?

3 Likes

I suspect that the times when I’ve in close proximity to a mountain lion, my back has been to them and they just figured I wasn’t worth it.

2 Likes

These harmless videos are what give stupid people the idea that the safety barriers aren’t meant for THEM. Anything for the 'Insta !

1 Like