Watch Ohio governor DeWine "drink" tapwater from near toxic train fire site

Different issues, but kinda-semi-related.

9 Likes

Again (something I am finding a lot of recently) that word has a one letter typo.
Don’t ship it to him so he knows, just slip it in there

1 Like

Obligs:

13 Likes

The ground could split open and Hell itself emerges but DeWine would be all like “It’s just a geologic anomaly along with a test of faith”

4 Likes

For a second opinion, go to 1:28 in this clip for Weyoun’s take on the East Palestine water.

4 Likes

haha would be good but i want him to know exactly what he is doing.

2 Likes

He just wasn’t thirsty, nbd. /s

3 Likes

I presume we’re not supposed to notice that the burger hangs down far enough in his left hand that there’s no way he’s eaten any, and with his right hand shielding the bottom of the burger she’s eating, it’s probably the same trick there.

10 Likes

Plus that’s probably why he did the stunt with a hamburger instead of, for instance, roast beef.

3 Likes

Absolutely there is. It’s all about that. The dose makes the poison, and the poisons we’re talking about here have longer term effects on organ health cancer risk, etc.

The irony here is that the Governor’s disingenuous bit of theatre wasn’t necessary even if the water is bad. A few swallows are not going to hurt you.

The issue is residents and their children being exposed to god-knows-what all day every day for who-knows-how-long.

A performative stunt like this doesn’t prove anything beyond “the water is not pure cyanide or VX gas” (even if you actually drink the water).

9 Likes

There is some low quality video of it happening

9 Likes

That can’t be real, the patty is larger than the bun! /s

5 Likes

If you don’t mind the odd flavor.

Eh, not really. Even miniscule amounts of vinyl chloride can be toxic. He might not drop dead on the spot, but liver failure down the road is a real risk.

6 Likes

It’s nasty stuff, no question, but two gulps of water will not contain enough to hurt you. I’m not trying to downplay this disaster at all- it’s of utmost seriousness. However the ppm in the water would have to be enormous for two gulps to hurt you. It’s an issue because residents absolutely will get toxic amounts over a week, month, or year of living with that water.

6 Likes

This soon after the disaster, with an insufficent response to clean it up? I wouldn’t trust a drop of that water, much less a glass of it.

6 Likes

Whether I would drink it would depend on the testing they did, I guess. If the EPA said it was below 1ppm (the generally accepted safe limit for C2H3Cl) I would. If it’s as high as, say 5ppm, I wouldn’t drink it, though it would still be safe to drink some.

I think we can agree it’s all terrible and leave it at that. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

The EPA (feds) isn’t involved because of the idiotic politics.

Ohio EPA is testing the water supply. Because of the politics of that organization, with leadership reporting to Dewine, I wouldn’t trust their results at all.

Having now perused the test reports from Eurofins Canton, the independent testing lab contracted not by Ohio EPA, but by the railroad, the overall conclusion was that “there is no risk to East Palestine Public Water customers” even though there were dangerous compounds like chloroform, bromidichloromethane, phthalates, and other organic chlorine compounds that tested above safe threaholds in the results themselves.

14 Likes

That’s … upsetting. Among the named chemicals (chloroform, bromidichloromethane, phthalates) I’m pretty sure only chloroform might be a breakdown product of VCM. Bromidichoromethane needs bromine which isn’t in VCM, and phthalates are bigger and more complex than VCM.

So the water wasn’t safe before the train crashed, and now it’s worse, and the company is haggling over how much worse while the governor literally caries water for them.

12 Likes

Excited Celebration GIF by Slanted Studios

11 Likes