Watch some amazing cast iron cookery

Originally published at: Watch some amazing cast iron cookery | Boing Boing

10 Likes

Looks like a NY strip to me.

1 Like

Oh, I wish I knew about this 30 years ago when we did a lot of camping and also owned a chainsaw! Looks like more fun than cooking in a cast-iron pan on a Coleman stove (which really wasn’t much fun at all.)

5 Likes

It’s a centuries-old technique called a “Swedish torch” or a “Swedish fire log.” They will burn for a very long time, which is kind of cool. But without a chainsaw they’re very difficult to make.

and

14 Likes

Wouldn’t it be annoying that the steak is cooled down after cooking the potatoes? The egg only takes a couple seconds but the potatoes probably took at least 15 minutes.

1 Like

Looked good until he put runny eggs all over it :face_vomiting:

3 Likes

Thinking same thing - you would want 2 logs and pans!

Also - now I am hungry… and all I have is Marie Callenders…

3 Likes

Came here to post kind of that. I’ve always known it as a Canadian Candle. Work really well!

1 Like

!

5 Likes

Sweet. Now I want dinner early.

4 Likes

And agreed, subbing out the taters for some spinach or mushrooms or both would bring it over the top!

3 Likes

I hope he knows how to clean and season that cast iron pan properly using the only correct method

8 Likes

Bi-annual trips to the poles to expose it to 24 hours of continuous sunlight?

7 Likes

Stupid question.
Should there be sound with this video?

1 Like

The potatoes looked like they’d been cooked (boiled or steamed) before going into the pan - I suspect that was as much to cook the garlic and get the potatoes to soak up any pan juices/fat.

7 Likes

Nope. Feel free to add your own sound effects.

1 Like

You had me at meat, chainsaw black rubber gloves!

1 Like

Brazilian here. That steak looks amazing, but it is definitely not picanha.

3 Likes

I’m guessing parboiled first. They only take a few minutes to get a little char and infuse some oil after that.

I see your wicked plan and I’m not falling for it.

2 Likes

I’ve got some images of Swedish torches over in the Making… thread.

3 Likes