Watch: Super short horror films that are truly terrifying

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/08/watch-super-short-horror-film.html

3 Likes

Horror? Now?

I can’t properly sleep already. Do I want to watch any of that, fellow mutants? o_O

5 Likes

You’ll like it. Who needs sleep, anyway?

2 Likes

One thing you will learn when you grow up: sleep is precious.

We spent far to much time opposing early bedtime hours. When coming of a certain age, you would give much to get more time to sleep. When becoming a parent, you would nearly give everything. And when you’ve outgrown both and arrive at (as we call mockingly it in German) senile Bettflucht.

Personally, I have vivid dreams which often help me to cope with my day and might turn out very inspiring.

So, YMMV. I need sleep. I want sleep. And while I’m sitting in front of several monitors, with that window open on the one which I’m currently not working on while I crunch stuff and review manuscripts, I shall sleep tonight. And I will bring out a toast before. Even though alcohol is not good for my sleep.

4 Likes

You might. I’m not a big horror fan, it just freaks me out too much. But I watched the Rickety Lady one, and it’s juuuust enough to get that adrenaline thrill of good horror without the lingering heebie-jeebies that I get from the longer-form stuff.

4 Likes

These remind me of Studio 360’s 30-second horror film contest, judged by none other than Wes Craven.

5 Likes

I guess that the film’s test of its staying power will be when you next get the chance to pick up a Viewmaster and… click… that… little… lever… :open_mouth:

3 Likes

I watched this one (Vicious) (12 minutes), at work, with no sound, in a bright, sunny office, and even skipped through a few minutes, and I still had nightmares for about 3 months. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Never. again. [shiver]
Honestly, it gave me goosebumps, and again when I saw your message. But not the kind of dread that follows me around the house, like after I saw The Ring. I think that was my breaking point for the full-length horror movie.

1 Like

It would need to be a screeming red one. Placed beside a same colored 1970s lamp. Otherwise it doesn’t work. You’d probably have to break into David Lynch’s prop store to find that combination in which case you’re obviously not the easily scared type.

2 Likes

I’ll just repeat myself. In a very silent, calm and low tone:
You’ll like it. Who needs sleep, anyway.
You’ll like it…
…like it.

2 Likes

giphy (8)

1 Like

Horrifying! He destroyed a perfectly good Viewfinder.

Hm. I’ll watch it… then report back in 12 minutes — maybe.

1 Like

“Boo-scary” – for me, anyway – is very short-lived and has no further effect on me when pondered on later. The only ‘horror’ films that get at me and uncomfortably linger are the ones that portray ‘eeriness’, a great example being some of the scenes in Hereditary, as in something staring out from dark corners. Evolutionary flight-or-fight response, I suppose.

If you enjoyed The Rickety Lady (the first short in the post), you should definitely see the 2004 Thai horror film, “Shutter,” which probably inspired it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.