Remembering The Incredible Shrinking Man

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/21/remembering-the-incredible-shrinking-man.html

11 Likes

I remember that spider scaring the bejeezus out of me as a kid. Brrrr

14 Likes

Thank you for this. I haven’t seen that movie since I was a kid, and totally missed the ending.

On Saturday afternoons, back in the 60s, one of the TV stations in Houston would show movies on a segment they called “Science Fiction Theater”. I watched so many old classics there, including The Incredible Shrinking Man.

The Monolith Monsters

Them

Dr Cyclops

This Island Earth

The Mole People

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Day of the Triffids

Earth vs the Flying Saucers

When Worlds Collide

So many more that I know I will feel bad about not listing…

6 Likes

Ooh, now do The Quiet Earth!

8 Likes

What a great movie. It’s on several lists of, “Greatest films you’ve never heard of”.

7 Likes

Bruno fucking Lawrence, man. For more BLERTA (but less sci-fi), check out UTU, which is probably impossible to find on Region 1 DVD or US streaming.

Mid-authorship edit: Thanks, YouTube!

5 Likes

The movies I remember seeing with my babysitter were The Incredible Shrinking Man, Them, and The Invisible Man.

The Invisible Man gave me an intense nightmare. My bedroom was next to an empty attic (there was a little door in my room that went into that area – it creeped me out). I saw the invisible man (in his suit and hat) standing over my bed. I screamed and he ran through the little door and into the attic. I didn’t dare open that door after that. I can still close my eyes to this day and see him standing over me.

11 Likes

Invisible Man! Yes!

War of the Worlds.

The Time Machine

Master of the World (with Vincent Price and Charles Bronson)

Mysterious Island

Jason and the Argonauts

Green Slime

Latitude Zero

I need to stop now before I do something stupid like find all these online and buy them.

6 Likes

The Incredible Shrinking Man is the reason I will never trust my cats if I ever shrink or they ever get large.

A cat the size of St. Bernard is a face eating leopard.

5 Likes

"Cary finally leaves his home through the prison-like bars of the basement window screen that have now become small enough for him to easily slip through. From there, he walks across his suburban lawn, and into infinity itself. "

…where he’s promptly eaten my a bug.

2 Likes

“The Man With the X Ray Eyes“ was one that always fascinated me as a kid.

6 Likes

Meh… Lily Tomlin did it better

9 Likes

5 Likes

I remember seeing a movie when I was young in the early '70s about 3 astronauts who go to the moon on an Apollo type rocket and they meet some giant sentient malevolant orb there. Can’t remember the name but it stuck with me for some reason.

4 Likes

Except for the moon part, it sounds like you’re describing “Mission Mars” (1968).

7 Likes

That’s it! Thanks, now I’ve got to watch it again to see why it stuck…

4 Likes

Oh, this takes me back…

They showed more or less all of Arnold’s sci-fi/horror movies which was a treat in itself, but the 10 minutes or so tacked on with Arnold explaining how and why he did or didn’t do things added a lot.
They also did this with a couple of classic noir films, but I can’t remember the director.
5 Likes

Mysterious Island (1961)

3 Likes

Trapdoor jammies were really a thing? I thought they were just in cartoons.

3 Likes

I remember seeing “Little Big Man” on TV (split over two nights?) when I was 11 or so. It had a lot of content that helped switch my train to less common tracks. It was the perfect movie for the kid beginning to question everything.

6 Likes