Movie moments that "F***'d Me Up as a kid!"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/25/movie-moments-that-fd-me-up-as-a-kid.html

7 Likes

I am (was) too old to have been impacted by most of these I think… Maybe Temple of Doom, but not so much the heart-ripping as the dinner table… shudder

11 Likes

At age 7, watching Aliens on TV while my paternal grand mother was supposed to be watching me. Traumatized somewhat then. Now as a FULLY MOULTED ADULT FORM of the species, Alien and Aliens are zen calm time for me.

9 Likes

For me it was the library ghost in Ghostbusters (my earliest movie memory) and Zelda from Terrahawks

10 Likes

It’s an interesting collection, as none of them are directly violent, which I found a lot more upsetting then and now. E.g. the toxic waste scene in Robocop didn’t bother me a tenth as much as Murphy’s prolonged execution scene.

13 Likes

I vaguely remember the movie “Trilogy of Terror” giving me nightmares for a long time, and a “Dr. Phibes” film that was really disturbing.

Not that I recall much of anything about either of them now. But as a kid, they were scary.

9 Likes

Well, Watership Down is fairly damn violent. :wink:

I think a lot of parents were surprised by that one. “Look, an adorable cartoon about rabbits!” Not so much. It is pretty deep, heady stuff for kids almost right from the start.

19 Likes

The scene in Who Framed Roger Rabbit where Judge Doom takes a cute, little (alive) shoe and burns him alive in acid was pretty messed up too.

20 Likes

This person clearly has major Indiana Jones issues but has (justifiably) never seen Superman III.

6 Likes

Did anyone else see the weird Canadian movie called the Peanut Butter Solution? That shit was fucking weird, man.

6 Likes

Large Marge freak-out from “PeeWees Big Adventure”. Was not expecting it at all, nightmare-o-rama for a few days.

9 Likes

Most of them I can understand. However, when Coraline came out, I was managing movie theaters, so nope.

Also, the Skeksis dinner scene is still today something I can’t watch (surpised it’s not in this video).

3 Likes

Yes, In school. (along with reading the book in class IIRC) But I’m Canadian so it was not Super unusual to have that Canadian Content in class.

3 Likes

Man, the 80s were a notoriously bad (good?) time for PG movies that should’ve been rated R+. I remember seeing Poltergeist as kid and it definitely left a mark. Also, not PG, but I remember sneaking out of my bed one night and catching my parents watching Creepshow. It was during the scene with the roaches coming out of every orifice on E.G. Marshall and my life hasn’t been the same since.

16 Likes

Not as violent, but “The Secret of NIMH” shook me as a kid. What was up with the gruesome cartoon animal movies back then? LOL!

11 Likes

Ai-yi-yi the bathroom mirror scene. Thanks for the memories.

13 Likes

They showed you that in school? Damn. That scene with the dogs still gives me nightmares. Then again, I was probably about six when I first saw it. Also, there’s a book?! I wouldn’t mind reading that.

2 Likes

It appears (to my basic searching) that if there is a book, its a novelization of the film. My memory of the time is foggy at best :slight_smile:

2 Likes

While incredibly tame by today’s standard, Silver Bullet scared the bejesus out of me.

Also, in entertainment their can be a fine line between trauma inducing and pathos creating. It can be a line worth examining.

3 Likes

i’m surprised Poltergeist isn’t in here. as much as i’d like to say it was Gene Wilder as Wonka, i think it was Poltergeist for me. although the melting nazis in the original Indiana Jones movie was also pretty staggering at the time.

Also: No Bambi?? wtf. maybe THAT was my original scarring.

7 Likes