Watch the bang as man skips sodium across river

[Read the post]

3 Likes
23 Likes

I like to create forks out of sodium for rich people to use…

18 Likes

Okay. Amusing. But wha’s the effect on the fish?

6 Likes

NaoH + fish = Lutefisk.

37 Likes

Planned to complain that that body of water isn’t large or swift enough for this to be responsible, but then I watched the video. Waaaay cooler than a pound of sodium in a deep river!

3 Likes

One of the few times the auto-giffer achieved its purpose and made me want to watch the video.

Still don’t like it, mind you.

11 Likes

That’s still a beautiful lake. Wikipedia says the volume of Lake Lenore is about 24 million m3; 20,000 pounds is about 330,000 moles of NaOH. So, once evenly distributed in the lake, the concentration would have been about 10 micromolar.

Hey, here’s a fun thing: a 1958 paper about the limnology of Lake Lenore and adjacent Soap Lake. The pH of the lakes was 9.9-10.0. The paper doesn’t mention the NaOH disposal.

10 Likes

That would be the best day on the job ever…

7 Likes

“Hold my beer and watch this…”

17 Likes

Science!

raises arm in joyous gesticulation

8 Likes

Dangerous? Nonsense! My doctor’s been telling me to skip sodium whenever possible.

47 Likes

Yea, the sodium is cool and all, but Professor Egghead doesn’t know how to skip a stone. His grip was completely wrong.

9 Likes

I was thinking the same thing, but then I figured that he wanted to make sure he got it a decent distance away…

4 Likes

Would’ve been better if they cast the sodium into a nice aerodynamic shape before tossing it.

1 Like

???

12 Likes

Geewiz chemistry indeed. Our high school chem instructor plopped a chunk of sodium into an erlenmeyer flask of water the 1st day of class. It fizzled & popped dramatically entertaining one and all.

I mentioned the fun to a friend later and he responded by showing me a hole in his shirt cuff.

Dipwad did the same demo for the period 2 class, but choose a bit larger chunk. The liberated hydrogen accumulated & detonated, sending shards of glass and tiny bits of sodium raining over several rows - traumatizing one and all.

14 Likes

No lye.

10 Likes

it just never gets old.

12 Likes