Watch this chicken leg disappear in acid

Originally published at: Watch this chicken leg disappear in acid | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Brings back terrible childhood memories.

download (42)

16 Likes

how much acid would it take to get rid of 75 kg of … chicken and how readily available is it for purchase? asking for a friend.

9 Likes

Just like my first boss. Did I say that out loud?

6 Likes

Did they ever explain how Walter White disposed of the acid after the Emilio/Krazy-8 incident? Maybe just add baking soda until the solution was pH-neutral and dump it all down the drain?

3 Likes

Storing or transporting that much peroxide would represent its own risk of catastrophic explosion. Roll a D20…

3 Likes

5 Likes

I don’t know what a T-800 endoskeleton is made out of but it must have been pretty freaking dense to sink in a vat of molten steel like the stuff was water.

I guess James Cameron didn’t think a robot flailing around on the surface of the vat until his flesh burned off and his inorganic components turned into floating puddles was quite the spectacle he wanted for a grand finale.

4 Likes

How does one dispose of that liquid safely?

1 Like

Neutralize slowly with a base like sodium bicarbonate or potassium hydroxide.

8 Likes

“Do you expect me to talk?”
“No, Mr Bond! I expect you to… wait… Where did he go?”

1 Like

Now I know what they used to fill “Death Bed— The Bed That Eats”!

2 Likes

Remember back when they used to do this with mechanical means?

Martyn Poliakoff’s team did a comparison of sulphuric, hydrochloric and hydrofluoric acids:

2 Likes

Or the Doom (2016) tribute (I saw this scene waaaayyyy to many times :sob:):

1 Like

Love their video explainers.

As a teen I worked in a chem lab at an electronics firm back in the late '80s - I was studying electronic engineering, but worked with processes like vacuum coating metals onto substrates to make microwave circuits.

The safety briefings were always to be heeded - and the one regarding HF etchant was the most memorable. As Martyn says in the video, HF can damage nerves very quickly so you almost don’t feel an initial exposure. But later on… oh boy. The example given was a few tiny drops of high concentration HF on the hand. The entry wound could almost go unnoticed, but over the next 24 hours it would work through deep tissue and then propagate along the bone - an incredibly painful and tricky to treat injury.

A colleague of mine - quite a senior chemist - was etching some microwave antenna structures, and chatting to me as he worked. I watched with horror as he went to take out the work piece by hand without putting on the required thick gloves :scream: - then absent mindedly realised and pulled away. Mind you, we were all in lab coats and he used to work in very loud Hawaiian shirts …

3 Likes

Great! Because I really wanted this, but I didn’t want to pay full price.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.