Watch the composer perform the theme to 'The Mandalorian'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/21/watch-the-composer-perform-the.html

1 Like

Pretty sure that ‘out in nature’ is him in the Soundstage where they shot the show. That’s how good their projection screen tech is. If you didn’t know you would think most of the show was shot on location.

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about re-watching the series, this may be the nudge that I needed. Or maybe it’s just my Pavlovian response to hearing the theme. Either way, it may be a good time for some escapism!

3 Likes

I also can recommend the ‘gallery’ behind the scene show Disney+ has all about the mandalorian. There is even an entire episode dedicated to the music.

4 Likes

It’s friggin’ amazing. Almost makes me wish I’d gone into acting so I could play on Favreau’s Unreal Engine/Epic Games holodeck.

1 Like

They call it “The Volume” I frickin love it!

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that being out in nature is one of very few reasons to play a plastic bass recorder - not wanting to subject a wooden one to sudden changes in temperature and humidity, or $LC_DEITY forbid, get it wet! I suspect that the true story is:

• there’s at least one location shot
  • the rest of the shots of him with the recorder are with the same plastic one, for continuity
  • he’s playing a wooden one for the actual music.

A lot of players of modern music, who want electronic effects mixed with the recorder, will use one of the square basses from Paetzold. They’re easier to modify with pickups, controls, air pressure sensors and the like. But they sure look weird on stage!

Today’s plastic recorders are susprisingly good. A $350 plastic bass probably sounds better than a $1000 wooden one, and you have to be up in the 2000-dollar range before a wooden bass will really have a better sound. (I’m talking about mass-produced ones; I’d expect a serious performer would probably use bespoke ones, and those get spendy.) Still, the plastic ones clog with condensation far too easily. I’d hate trying to do studio work with a plastic bass. I practice on plastic alto and tenor, because you can play those for hours and do them no harm. You don’t have to stop to let the wood dry out.

(Disclaimer: I’m not a serious musician - it’s a sideline for me. )

FWIW, the bass I play is a late-1990s instrument made by Küng in Switzerland. It wasn’t mine originally, and I’m not sure about the material. It is almost certainly some species of Dalbergia. And it just occurred to me that the thing is a little overdue for maintenance - I’m going to have to get out the walnut oil and the rags.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.