Watch the first two hours of MTV for its 40th

Originally published at: Watch the first two hours of MTV for its 40th | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Spies Like Us__MTV satellite

12 Likes

Within the first 24 hours, 209 music videos were broadcast on MTV (116 if repeats aren’t counted). For those interested, here’s the complete list:

4 Likes

The Boggles - LIVE! This is just about the coolest thing ever! (link below)

Also… this song cuts all us ex-radio industry “stars” to the quick.
We are old, people. Times change. And all you kids? It will happen for you as well. Enjoy your life!
Peace.

7 Likes

5fb

20 Likes

Clear Channel killed the radio star

14 Likes

Wow, mostly just bad. Except for the Pretenders, the Specials, Kate Bush, Ultravox and a few more. Pretenders got heavy rotation from the get go, didn’t they.

3 Likes

This is the first time I saw the video that killed the radio star.

6 Likes

Lotsa Rod Stewart and Styx… Also, forgot the guy from 38 Special and his kimono.
This trio of songs, tho…

3 Likes

Pass; I watched it back when it originally aired.

7 Likes

Video 105 - The Ramones - Do You Remember Rock and Roll Radio? - Day one and we have already surpassed the limits of the format and crossed into the meta. The entire video is a series of images ON A TV SCREEN. Mind. Blown. Ramones. Fuck. Yeah!

2 Likes

The Ramones are on my short list of “bands I could have seen but didn’t for some reason”.
Also on that list:
The Clash
The Grateful Dead
Allman Bros
Beastie Boys

You missed out. I was lucky enough to catch them on their final tour in 1996, I think it was… They were really amazing. Every song was like 5 times faster than it is on the albums.

I still think early 80s videos were the best videos… low budget with no one knowing exactly what you should do. So people did whatever they wanted to do. There were some truly inspired videos from the first decade of MTV… early Erasure videos were sort of perfect, for example.

3 Likes

The best/worst video of the 80s. Mick Jagger is like Popeye here, words are coming out but his mouth isn’t moving. Among other ridiculousness.

3 Likes

The video is also notable for featuring a very young Hans Zimmer.

4 Likes

It seemed like most of those inspired videos came from the British groups. They already had a culture of music videos with Top of the Pops and were ready and willing to jump on the MTV bandwagon. American labels mostly thought the whole thing was preposterous and weren’t willing to spend any money.

3 Likes
3 Likes

+1 for Propaganda!

2 Likes

Both Trevor Horn productions, right? And Lol Creme was also a member of Art of Noise; he and Kevin Godley were responsible for some notorious videos in the 80s, including Duran Duran’s ‘Girls On Film’, and the one with the Lou Reed robot.

4 Likes

It is actually mind boggling what Trevor Horn has been involved in. It seems like once a week or so I learn another surprising “produced by Trevor Horn” fact

4 Likes