MTV is now airing cooking shows

Originally published at: MTV is now airing cooking shows | Boing Boing

4 Likes
7 Likes
2 Likes

I read an article at least a decade ago about the fact that MTV no longer bothers with the “M”. Some pompous ass from their C-suite casually responded that only old folks complained about the lack of music videos, and he didn’t care what they thought. Fair enough, I suppose, but I wonder what their viewership numbers are like compared to the '80s and early '90s?

5 Likes

Well, let’s be honest, a bad America’s funniest videos knockoff is an astronomical improvement for MTV.

4 Likes

I still prefer the old, traditional recipes.

13 Likes

Yeah, but now they own their product, their shows. They are (or were) presumably making more profit this way.

2 Likes

Dire Straits want their microwave oven back.

14 Likes

That’s an awesome two hours of the original MTV! Tom Petty along side Stevie Nicks… Doobie Brothers had some soul! And Genesis ruled the airwaves for a couple summers back then. Both sides of the bookends of Styx’s Paradise Theater too! Matter of fact, Styx was my first ever rock concert. Friends and I went to the beach in Santa Cruz for the day, stopped by our homes for a quick freshen up then continued up highway 17 to the Oakland Arena to catch the show. Ticket was thirteen bucks.

1 Like
4 Likes

yeah yeah - so old I remember floppy disks, film cameras, and when MTV played Music…

4 Likes

I seem to recall an NPR interview with the marketer who came up with the idea for MTV? and also credit cards? At least that’s the way I remember it. If rings a bell, please post a link, I can’t seem to find it.

The gist was that with MTV there was an opportunity to create a whole station that was nothing but ads for albums, so they could get their content for cheap or even charge to play it.

Maybe nothing has changed at all.

edit: I’m probably wrong about the credit card bit.

3 Likes

So, a television variation on the jukebox, playing singles to drive record sales.

6 Likes

Or the radio.

But of course, when it first started, none of the major labels and big bands thought it was a good idea, so all the indie labels in the US and UK that came out of the punk/postpunk scenes sent in their band’s low-fi videos… and once MTV went nation, these New Wave bands starting charting. :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

I’d rather watch reruns of Canadian Parliament on My VCR than watch the crap that is Empty-V today.

4 Likes

Remarkable, but this was a good read on the topic:

1 Like

I saw that new seasons of The Challenge and Road Rules are on the Paramount streaming service, not MTV. MTV doesn’t even show the dumb bullshit they replaced music videos with. The new Beavis & Butt-Head series will be on Paramount as well.

1 Like
2 Likes

I still enjoy watching music videos, or at least having them on in the background. Now I just watch them on YouTube instead of on MTV. There are a LOT of early era music video gems on there I had never seen before.

3 Likes

A whole hour of music videos in that schedule? What are they “thinking” ?