MTV announces first ever reality TV convention

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/16/mtv-announces-first-ever-reali.html

3 Likes

Get back to me when MTV announces they’ll be showing music videos again.

23 Likes

Smacks of desperation, me thinks.

6 Likes

Is the plan to lock them all inside until they eat each other and film it?

7 Likes

I think this is a pretty smart move. If they can get some non-Viacom shows to participate, it’s going to be huge.

I’ve always been a fan of a bunch of reality shows though. Mythbusters is probably my favorite.

Will there be cosplay?

Oh, and… we’re living it.

2 Likes

They do have a channel MTV Live that shows just music. I watch it when I just want a break from all the other krap on TV.

1 Like

But…why?

7 Likes

When will reality TV die already? I just. Don’t. Get. It.

2 Likes

That’s it. Just nuke the plant from orbit. We are done.

2 Likes

I assume the reality TV show about the reality TV convention will be along shortly.

5 Likes

I wonder if anyone will do something dramatic just to get more attention than the others.

3 Likes

I heard the Colonial House cast is already starting beefs on Insta, just to make sure they don’t get shuttled to conference room F…

1 Like

It will never die. It’s cheap to make since it doesn’t require special effects, actors, or writers (though editing gets tricky). It earns more eyeballs per dollar spent than most well-crafted dramas do (citation needed).

1 Like

Ready to feel old?

All those people in that Real World photo are 50 or so (except for Pedro, who’s no longer with us).

Boy, I so badly want to go to a convention with 50-year old ex-wannabes. Sign me up.

FTFY.

:slight_smile:

­

1 Like

quark-but-why

4 Likes

So… this is for fans of people who are famous for… nothing?

1 Like

My plans for AbNothCon* will just have to wait.

*First Annual Absolutely Nothing Convention

1 Like

Even though it is hosted by MTV — who created the genre with The Real World in 1992

How are we defining “reality TV”?

Does Cops count? It premiered in 1989 and is listed in the Wikipedia “American reality television series” category (for whatever that’s worth.)

For that matter, looking a little closer at Wikipedia “American hidden camera television series” is a subcategory of “American reality television series” and that dates back to at least 1948 (!) when Candid Camera premiered.

That’s just looking at American TV shows; I don’t know the history of reality TV shows in other countries.

1 Like