Watch the moment a 28-year-old laboratory chimp sees the sky for the first time

Originally published at: Watch the moment a 28-year-old laboratory chimp sees the sky for the first time | Boing Boing

3 Likes

No creature should ever be put through the sort of horrible treatment where they are that overjoyed to find out they are in Florida.

14 Likes
15 Likes

I used to work at a primate research center and currently work one lab over from research monkeys. It’s a good thing that the US is actively scaling down primate research.

The chimps I saw at the primate center were reasonably happy though (and have since retired to a chimp sanctuary in Georgia). They had an indoor/outdoor setup and chose where to be, and more importantly they lived in full family groups with some normal social interaction. After work each afternoon I’d walk over and watch them for a while before going home. Highlight of the day. Hope they’re all enjoying retirement

11 Likes

Well done, Dearest Smulder.

3 Likes

Come On Biden GIF by GIPHY News

3 Likes
3 Likes

Yeah, too sad, I can’t watch. But thanks for posting, to draw attention to the cruelty of keeping animals in captivity.

3 Likes

I completely understand that! but I’ll just tell you that other chimps hugged her and helped her thoroughly enjoy herself. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the description, that makes it easier.

3 Likes

You’re most welcome. Didn’t want you to walk away w/a bad “taste” in your mind. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.