Watch the moment a house falls into a river and floats away

Originally published at: Watch the moment a house falls into a river and floats away | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Shoutout to the carpenters. That house held together pretty well, all things considered.

26 Likes

Fly free little house! Safe journey!

8 Likes

I’ve always found it interesting to see whole houses floating relatively intact, like big ungainly boats. I mean they are not built for this purpose, yet they float pretty well and often seem to stay in one piece.

10 Likes

I hope the owners were able to get their things out. Especially the things like chemicals that will cause issues for animals and insects later

9 Likes

So if it washes up against a bridge and they can tow it back upriver!

4 Likes

Water always wins.

10 Likes

House boat!

11 Likes

This was the opening plot to the ABC Weekend Special - Cougar!

3 Likes

“Oh, it’s just moved,”

That’s a British-level understatement.

3 Likes

What’s up with so many posts being headed by an un- or barely-related image lately? When we were kids, just some text and a screengrab was good 'nuff for us!

It always bugs me, watching a video of impending disaster, thinking “Why was this guy just filming instead of trying to do something to help???”

You see, the problem with building your house too close to a river bank…

1 Like

In this instance, what helpful action would you recommend?

4 Likes

I don’t know, something!!! He had nearly a minute to get across that torrential flow and find and move some ballast into the other side! I figure driving a dozen fully loaded SUVs through the walls might have done it. Maybe.

including “/s” this time for greater surety

5 Likes

The Yellowstone area has been hard hit this week; flooding has isolated a lot of the small towns and trapped some tourists in the park because of washed out roads and landslides. I remember driving some of those roads several years back, and now see the roads with big chunks missing.

4 Likes

It wasn’t that close to begin with.

I think this is the house:

It looks like the water washed away a good 50 feet of riverbank.

6 Likes

“Hey honey, the neighbors are moving!”

“oh yeah? where to?”

“…i’m not sure…”

6 Likes

Did he look like Moses?

5 Likes

Looping a tow cable around a porch column and pulling it back from the river would have made a heck of a truck commercial.

3 Likes