Watch The Ramones on the Sha Na Na television variety show in 1979

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/16/watch-the-ramones-on-the-sha-n.html

8 Likes

But did the Ramones write a song about them

7 Likes

I’ve actually read some very positive things about Bowser, but I still feel like I shouldn’t watch clips of old shows like that, even though I just did. (Ok, so at least it had the Ramones, right?) I do like Sha Na Na’s musical style, but it may be best to not see the skits.

4 Likes
1 Like

My toes curled.

1 Like

@pesco, @pesco beat you to it:

15 Likes

TIL Sha Na Na was at Woodstock. Mind blown.

2 Likes

Who thought that camera behind the scaffolding was a good idea?

I like it.

3 Likes

“Sha na na na. Sha na na na na.”

4 Likes

Haha! No wonder I liked it!

9 Likes

Oh, that was beautiful. Please post it again in another 5 years!

3 Likes

A few years ago I was looking through an old box and found my Ramones ticket stub. My wife then had it framed as an anniversary gift. To this date, that was the loudest show I ever attended (Ministry and Oasis rounding out the top three). I started wearing earplugs to shows after that.

11 Likes

I saw them on their final tour in… 96?.. They played outside, and it was fucking loud - also, they played all the songs like 3 times faster than the recorded versions. The Swans and KMFDM were louder, but KMFDM, probably was because it was inside… The Swans, though ARE the loudest band ever…

9 Likes

They also played on '96 Lollapalooza tour, that’s where I got to see them.

2 Likes

This came after the Lollapalooza tour (I think - I want to say it was late summer/early fall), but probably can be considered part of the same tour?

2 Likes

My first reaction: Oh god … I so remember this show this is part of my childhood … unfortunately.

My 2nd reaction: NEW WAVE?!??! ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME?

4 Likes

I haven’t seen Swans since '96, but they were loud. Then I saw Motorhead. I know, you think, sure Motorhead would be loud, but they were “I’m wearing earplugs and I really, really need to be off to a side alcove because I think the earplugs are doing nothing” loud. Like, there was no need for that amount of volume. I’m not shocked they played at that volume, but I wasn’t expecting it. Both bands were still amazing though.

1 Like

I saw them on their last North American tour (before, you know, they got back together)… which was 97? The Swans are Dead album probably has recordings from both the shows we saw!

A friend of mine is a huge, HUGE swans fan and he goes every time they play to see them (and hang out with them).

I’ve heard that about Motorhead!!! :grin:

Yep!

2 Likes

Good idea on the ear plugs. Ramones music can cause laboratory mice to explode! :rat: :headphones:

Use a Rock-O-Meter before you go.

9 Likes

It was fun to see that Da Ramones and Sha-na-na had similar answers to the question “what is showbiz?”

1 Like