Watch: The upsetting life cycle of a Xenomorph set to the "Up" theme

Originally published at: Watch: The upsetting life cycle of a Xenomorph set to the "Up" theme | Boing Boing

5 Likes
17 Likes

“Xenomorph” is not a proper name for these creatures, it’s just a general term for extraterrestrial that a minor character used in one line of dialog in the second film.

That’s still canon.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, this forces the viewer to contemplate how illogical their lifecycle is. A queen that lays eggs that contains another creature that also lays an egg in a host? The parasite doesn’t even stick around to finish-off the host for nutrients. Like the facehugger, it only seems to exist to be disturbing to humans. A lot of wasted energy that evolution would probably weed out.

4 Likes

Years ago we were watching Alien on laser disk at a friend’s house. We froze the initial chest bursting scene and stepped through it as the little feller made its escape. It had legs and was sprinting out of the room. In the animation there are no legs at that point.

Except that Alien: Covenant firmly established that these things did not evolve…

3 Likes

Hint;

They’re fictional.

5 Likes

…So that would mean it is, in fact, correct to refer to it as “a xenomorph”? Thank you for the permission, I guess. :confused:

6 Likes

I had a friend who liked to call the fictional aliens of Ridley Scott’s franchise ‘Encephalopods…’

1 Like

E.T. says “Phone somebody who cares.”

et-phone

6 Likes

Would you prefer the much more specific term “alien”?

3 Likes

Evolution is continuous. Its origin doesn’t matter.

A bioengineered organism’s life cycle doesn’t have to make sense from an evolutionary perspective.

3 Likes

Kudos for pairing these two together because i never woulda thought of that and wish i had! I take issue with the xeno transporting the eggs though, i thought the queen plops them down with her ovipositor.

1 Like

Oh yeah, smarty pants?! Whaddya call this guy then??

2 Likes

A termite or ant queen lays eggs but doesn’t normally move them around herself.

1 Like

Right, but what about bio-engineered alien killing machines? :thinking:

It’s a lifeform based of plot-ology. I mean, it has that super-acid blood for no good reason, other than to eat through decks and stuff. (Baking soda, ammonia or laundry detergent would probably burn or explode them.)

2 Likes

I wonder how they fertilize the eggs? Or is it speciesist to assume they need fertilization?