Watch these pro chefs debate how long eggs, butter, ketchup and avocados can be kept out of the refrigerator

I would guess the US would be much like it is here in Australia, and it would depend on when and where you are.

In summer if I leave the butter on the counter, I have a puddle of melted butter pretty quickly, but in winter I can leave it out just fine. Ketchup (and other tomato sauces) live in the cupboard, not the fridge. Eggs always go in the fridge. Avocado I don’t buy, as it tastes like soap to me.

3 Likes

Frankly, I’m shocked Boing Boing has anything to do at all with promoting Bon Appetit.

1 Like

I seem to recall my grandmother having a butter container that had a base with a groove around the edge, and a glass bell-jar cover that fit the groove. I think she used to pour water into the groove to seal it? She had no refrigerator.

4 Likes

Evidently, I do everything wrong.

1 Like

I have one of those, I believe it’s called a “butter bell”. I tried it in the summer once and the buyer got moldy within a few days, unfortunately.

3 Likes

It must be, because this

I have never seen in my life. Moldy butter?

ETA: that said, I regularly make ghee and that sometimes gets mold spots in the jar

3 Likes

People put ketchup in the fridge?

I have a spiral thing that holds 30 eggs. Or new ones are the top, taken then out of the bottom. Our chickens lay 2 or 3 eggs a day. So we’re always eating eggs about 12 days old. No problem at all

3 Likes

Butter bells are awesome - but I guess the composition of the butter (fat content) and the ambient temp and humidity must have an influence on how effective they are.

3 Likes

I’ve been told that’s because USian butter contains much more milk solids and water than European butter does. I had posted elsewhere about this a while back and a wonderful rep from Ornua (Irish dairy coop, that does Kerrygold and other brands) sent me a ton of information and we had a pleasant email exchange about it. I do love the Kerrygold butter but it’s harder to find here in France than it was at our old place in Belgium.

4 Likes

I watched the video, and then some others on this bon appetit YouTube channel. There’s some good stuff on there that I will try this weekend, like the chicken tacos with pickled avocado.

Flats of h’eggs in hot AF Jamaica are most often displayed out in the open near small groceries’ cash registers, even when the store has no AC. We’d pop 'em in the fridge when we got them “home,” tho. We didn’t know we’re sposed to wash 'em off before using ‘em, but that didn’t cause any problems. We also never found any of our eggs had gone off, despite the shops’ lack of en-fridgidation.

Butter is obviously kept fridged in the shops :smiley: We’d leave some out for maybe an hour if we wanted soft butter. Despite the plethora of happy-looking cows pon de Island, Irish Kerrygold butter was most commonly available.

When we moved to Woodbridge, our Victorian 'hood, a neighbor helpfully pointed out, “No one in Woodbridge uses ice,” and didn’t bother elucidating b/c she knew we are intelligent. :slight_smile: Not many homes here had AC at the time, and the ice’d melt almost as soon as you’d drop it into a “cold” bevvy. She also said, “No one in Woodbridge leaves their butter on the counter,” for the same hot weather reason; and many of these old houses’d get so cold in winter, butter on the counter would be almost as hard as the stuff in the fridge. :slight_smile:

The seriously massive, indescribably tasty h’agricultural peers (a specific type of gigantic avocado developed there; J’cans call avocados ‘pears’) never went bad b/c we ate them too quickly for that :smiley: Mom never liked eating slices of avocado, claiming it was too much like eating a stick of butter, yet loved guacamole. She gleefully et sliced h’agricultural peer, tho! :smiley: Here, avocados tend to be rock-like when purchased, then go bad almost as soon as they ripen, much like the fruit we call pears. Go figure.

4 Likes

LOL Brad Leone is a complete hack when it comes to food safety and in fact his recommendations for “pickling” could get you a nice case of botulism and/or e.coli. This whole thing is a massive case of professional malpractice, both by these “chefs” and by Bon Appetit for sanctioning it.

I suggest you read this re. Brad Leone: Login • Instagram

I came here to see if anyone was talking about this. I had no idea they had let themselves out of the penalty box and were making videos again. Were the issues ever addressed?

2 Likes

Not really. The women and people of colour all left and they went back to making content with the nice white men that the editor likes, basically. But even BoingBoing forgets, I guess. Hell, the whole thing even broke up the original Reply All podcast co-founders team because they had to admit that the guy who did the story was himself harassing women.

I felt bad for Claire Saffitz who is goddam delightful, but got caught in the middle of it all. Being white, she was being given better assignments and had to admit to that later. However, being a woman, she was still getting mostly shit from the editor. That douche had a very clear hierarchy of human value in his faschy head.

6 Likes

Claire was game for a lot of nonsense, and I liked her gourmet junk food series on BA. She was even a good foil to Brad and his golden retriever energy. I’m just realizing how much I missed her videos during the pandemic, but on the bright side, I am now learning she has her own YouTube channel, so that’s a win!

However, Sohla El-Waylly seems to have fallen off the planet, which I’m sure is her punishment for speaking out against the issues at BA. The old editor seems to have lost his job, but maybe practices haven’t changed much?

4 Likes

Sohla is still around- she’s blogging and doing articles for other food magazines. I’ve seen her in some YT stuff as well. She definitely didn’t bounce back to nearly-equivalent fame like Claire did though. Claire’s junk food series was amazing content (like, top ten YT stuff) and what’s really dumbfounding is how oblivious BA was to that. They didn’t think twice about kicking all of them in the butt on the way out. If they understood modern media at all they would have given her, Sohla, and Brad an “odd trio” channel of their own to do the junk food and other cooking stunts all day long. It would be a money-printing machine.

The shitbird editor (who’s name I won’t use) is on record as saying the YT stuff was stupid and not worth doing. He only cared about the print magazine, as though it’s 1982. Claire’s videos generated millions of views a week. That’s a hundred million dollars worth of eyeballs if you manage and monetize it properly. Such a waste. Every new media company (and YouTuber) struggles for years to build anywhere close to the audience that Claire and Sohla handed them. Ugh, I get mad just thinking about it, so I need to stop now.

5 Likes

Samesies! My parents forbade those sandwiches, but they couldn’t be there all the time…

Thank you for mentioning that! I’ve seen some of her solo stuff, and she’s also done some cool videos with other food YTers; J. Kenji Lopez-Alt and Babish IIRC.

3 Likes

I feel a need to comment on the absurdity of the term ‘pro chef’. Chef might not be a protected title, but a chef is a chef. An amateur cook is a cook, not a chef - a chef is the head of a (commercial or otherwise professional) kitchen. You might as well call someone a ‘pro office worker’, ‘pro factory worker’, or ‘pro manager’.

8 Likes

Someone who knows how to look busy.

1 Like