Watch this 120-year old mechanical organ play a song

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/30/watch-this-120-year-old-mechan.html

1 Like

“What’s cool is how the sheet music is on an accordion-folded hard card that looks almost exactly like a timeline in ProTools etc.”

3 Likes

Aww, c’mon! You know that Bohemian Rhapsody is the only tune for this kinda occasion!

3 Likes

Wintergatan created Marble Machine, one of the most amazing modern mechanical instruments

Martin Molin’s marble machine is a truly amazing creation, but unlike the main topic “120-year old mechanical organ” of this post the Marble Machine did not produce the final state of the music that it apparently is making without a lot of careful 21st century audio post-editing.(ref1) “Molin explains that there are a number of random errors that can occur and due to those, the final music video took many separate filmed segments to complete.”(ref2)

1 Like

Street organ music has forever become the Music of Madness to me after this:

…and street organs are pretty frequent in the city center where I have my studio… brrr…

Okay, not a street organ, but certainly with a touch of madness:

That style of view is usually called ‘piano roll’, because it looks just like a piano roll.

A museum near me has a steam-powered fairground organ from the same manufacturers (as part of a carousel). They run it all through the summer, and it is fantastic.

1 Like

The song it is playing, “Under Paris Skies,” is from 1951.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.