How to "code like a weaver"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/01/17/how-to-code-like-a-weaver.html

3 Likes

I was thinking of a Miéville weaver…

2 Likes

Well… yeah…

2 Likes

I see this being done by hand, on graph paper, all the time. Using a spreadsheet would make modifying a pattern much faster! But most of my weaver friends aren’t looking to spend more time using computers.

3 Likes

Speaking of Excel, any of you ever discover the flight simulator easter egg that was embedded in… I think it was Excel '97? Press the right keys, and suddenly you are flying over vector-rendered terrain, controllable via cursor keys. It was pretty cool.

4 Likes

Computers and computer programming aren’t that difficult to understand. The computer sequentially follows instructions to a tee. Software people write the instructions. Computer science, software development, and software engineering employ variously systematic approaches to writing correct, bug free, and hopefully long lived and usable software.

What I wish we could explain better is the emergent phenomena created by a billion+ people using social media to do repetitive and simple tasks like clicking a Like button or re-tweeting a hashtag.

3 Likes

3 Likes

1 Like

Yet another counter-example to the “science” of James Damore and those who think like him.

you can’t trust weavers, they are always spinning yarns.
you can’t get any privacy around a weaver, they are always looming over your shoulder.

i hope these jokes don’t offend any weavers on this thread…

…uh oh.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.