Watch this adorable orangutan's response to a simple yet effective magic trick

Tand-panda! Kreegah bundolo sord.
Omangani abalu tarmangani, gomangani.
Gun-ju-le!

2 Likes

DON’T YOU TELL ME TO GET INTO THE PAPERWEIGHT

okay I’ll get into the paperweight I’m sorry

1 Like

I have always been amazed when people talk about humans projecting emotions onto animals. While we do that, it doesn’t mean that dogs don’t smile and feel love (they do) or that this orangutan wasn’t totally tickled by this trick (he was).

Speaking of dogs and orangutans: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d79ArrL8VRg

2 Likes

unrelated train stations…

I caught the news the other day about a toddler pulled from his mothers arms and mauled by four dogs - my first reaction was what shitty human beings their owners must have been. While we (people) tend to project emotions on to lots of things, dogs, in particular, tend to mirror that of their owners.

You show me a bad dog and I’ll show you a bad human being at the other end of the leash, IMNSHO.

3 Likes

I’m glad you can read the orangutan’s mind. Because that’s the only way for you to know what it is really thinking.

All makes sense - I think you, me, and Jane are on the same page though.

1 Like

How do you know we even exist? We could easily be a frustrating figment of your imagination.

4 Likes

Same goes for anybody else. Even if they tell you, you still don’t know. People can communicate an impression about their thoughts and feelings, but then you still need to guess/assume what their subjective state was like.

1 Like

Is it anthropomorphism to guess that this orangutan is a lot more fun at parties than you are?

7 Likes

I can’t read his mind. However, not being autistic, I can read his face

1 Like

There are lots of autistic members here. I’d rather let them tell us whether or not they recognize the wonder and mirth on the chimp’s (ffs) orangutan’s face themselves, than accept that they can’t in the course of a cheap joke.

2 Likes

This still continues to amaze me.

and

They’re still quite shit at chess though.

3 Likes

Eeeeh, I’m not great at it either.

The trick is to distract your opponent into submission by yelling “Hurry up and move!” incessantly.

2 Likes

Or fling poo at them.

3 Likes

“An amazing human/primate interaction, caught on video.”

The video captured the interaction between two primates.

4 Likes

Based on genetic distance, some biologists are now suggesting that should read “between two hominids”.

Which is basically the behaviour of homo politicus, except that the poo is more metaphorical. “Dishing dirt” on your opponent has an obvious linkage.

1 Like

No question has been resolved here. The orangutan is obviously having a delightful response to something, but to make the intellectual leap that it is because something that it saw placed in a cup a few moments earlier is no longer there does not mean that the orangutan is reacting to a “magic” trick. In fact, a better term for the entire interaction would be “hide and seek.” It’s not really a magic trick at all.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.