Wild orangutan figures out how to saw wood

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/30/wild-orangutan-figures-out-how.html

5 Likes

Why is there a robot orangutan in the last half of this video, and why isn’t she more freaked out by his sudden appearance?

12 Likes

Well, that’s just great. Say goodbye to the rain forest, it’s bad enough with humans cutting down all the trees, now we’re training other primates to do it as well.

(And don’t come crying to me when Dr. Zaius locks you up in a cell with a choker around your neck.)

25 Likes

This was from a recent Nature series on PBS about robot animals and how they are used to spy on wild animals in their natural habitats. Pretty interesting stuff.

11 Likes

Be freaked out. Be very freaked out.

###SPY ORANGUTAN

9 Likes

quickly figured out how to cut wood with it.

7 Likes

Right!

3 Likes

That’s Clyde from the early 80s Eastwood flick. You can tell from the outtakes video where he flips the hidden camera the bird.

4 Likes

“You hate the hoomans? Hey, me too!”

7 Likes

As someone said, it’s from a BBC series called “Spy in the Wild”. Parts of it were shown in the US on the PBS “Nature” series.

The orangutan stuff is pretty cool, but not quite as cool as the headline here. The orangutan didn’t just find a saw and quickly work out how to use it. He’s sitting on the porch of an abandoned research building. The orangutans in that reserve have several behaviors that are taken from things they saw people do in the past.

Pretty cool, but they are not yet ready to put their damned dirty paws on us.

8 Likes

… with a saw.

There’s the opening scene to a horror film, right there :smiley:

8 Likes

I, for one, welcome our new orangutan overlords.

6 Likes

and a Bud Light!

1 Like

[quote=“WJCarpenter, post:10, topic:98016, full:true”]
orangutans in that reserve have several behaviors that are taken from things they saw people do in the past.[/quote]
You can saw that again.

6 Likes

I saw what you did th… oh nevermind

4 Likes

Clever girl!

2 Likes

Spy Orangutan is an asshole.

2 Likes

I can see we have the host of the next HGTV series right there.

4 Likes

Meh. Call me when she masters the Allen key.

“Flipping Forests”

1 Like