Watch this caterpillar make a tent out of a leaf so it can eat without being eaten

Originally published at: Watch this caterpillar make a tent out of a leaf so it can eat without being eaten | Boing Boing

7 Likes

So that’s how they do it.

5 Likes

I have no doubts in evolution, mind you, but I do sometimes wonder how many iterations of these little buggers did it take to fall into this winning strategy?

3 Likes

Nature has all the time in the world. And we humans are terribly bad at comprehending things that occur over timescales vastly longer than our own lifetimes.

8 Likes

I was watching some documentary on the Grand Canyon, and the fellow made the point that – if one wonders how it could have been cut in only three million years – he takes his pencil and draws a line across the page. “That’s one year of erosion. No one has a hard time accepting that. Now, do that three million times, and you’ve got the Grand Canyon.”

10 Likes

But what’s to stop birds eating it while it’s making the tent?

2 Likes

Time and water:

Nothing in the world
is as soft and yielding as water.
Yet for dissolving the hard and inflexible,
nothing can surpass it.

The soft overcomes the hard;
the gentle overcomes the rigid.
Everyone knows this is true,
but few can put it into practice.

Therefore the Master remains
serene in the midst of sorrow.
Evil cannot enter his heart.
Because he has given up helping,
he is people’s greatest help.

True words seem paradoxical.

Tao Te Ching 78 - Stephen Mitchell trans.

3 Likes

I am that caterpillar.

2 Likes

Admiration?

Cutting that perforation to make the folds is just amazing to me.

4 Likes

It’s eating at the same speed of my dot matrix printer from 1987. I hated / miss that printer.

5 Likes

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.