Watch this craft brewery canning machine can some beer

You want a little froth to spill over, that ensures no ambient air in the can. It’s not that big a loss since it’s mostly foam, but it’s better than having any oxygen or airborne spores get in the can.

3 Likes

Which is another thing that gives you fresher beer. Bottles require a certain amount of headspace in the next.

That’s oxygen that can create off flavors, opportunity for spoilage to take home, and space that co2 has to move out of the beer to fill. Cans require little to know headspace. Which just means more stable product.

3 Likes

Yeah, you don’t have to tell me, I learned the trade in Kulmbach and worked in Bayreuth, where we had to learn the whole chemistry and biology of brewing, bottling, and most importantly, cleaning. Brewers like to joke that in reality they are glorified cleaning crews.

My preference for bottles is due to the fact that I live in a city of breweries, so the choice really is between half litre bottles or going to the pub to get it from a keg.

2 Likes

I’m not doing the math (not that it’s particularly difficult for a SWAG, I just don’t want to be that guy obsessing over such minutiae on the InterTubes), but seems to me the headspace volume might be greater for the can, and the beer surface area in contact with this dirty headspace is certainly much greater in the can.

Maybe the really important advantage for cans is preventing light from spoiling the beer.

Beer. I like beer. Cheers!

Thing is the can effectively has no head space. Like the man says, they over flow a little when filled. Which leaves liquid beer pretty much up to the rim. The top is laid on top, and pressed down as it’s sealed which is supposed to force any air in there out. Like burping tuperware.

That’s pretty important too. But the can is all round better sealed. Less light, less oxygen.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.