Watch this creepy 1973 PSA about water saftey

It’s from an alternate timeline where Hammer Films made television PSAs. I like it.

5 Likes

Ah, the '70s - when the main water safety issue was kids and seniors drowning in it. Now, we have to be concerned about adults drinking it, too:

We’re gonna need more PSAs… :weary:

10 Likes

Alternate? They used to put these in the ad breaks on Saturday morning television in the 1980s and 90s.

One minute you are watching Bugs Bunny, the next…

10 Likes

Not even a game of chess first? That sucks.

10 Likes

Love the chicken wire ends sticking out from the water cover, ready to give the kids tetanus. Almost as safe as if everyone had a gun.

5 Likes

Seems more effective than what we had for PSAs in the States, back when I was a kid:

9 Likes

To my ear it sounds like a “Culchie” accent. Typically Roscommon, Mayo, Galway area, but the intonation on the T at the beginning of certain words leads me to believe it’s around County Clare. It doesn’t have the lilting pattern you find further south in Kerry or Cork.

6 Likes

Loves my

water saftey

'cause too much saf is never enough.

3 Likes

Wait, did the Reaper go streaking in response to a couple kids not making the worst possible decision that one time?

By the end of the piece I was more concerned by the settings than the swimmings.

3 Likes

The Advisory Circle, musicians of the Hauntology genre, have made pseudo-PSAs. Lemme see if I can ahem scare some up.

Ah, success! They are in order of spookiness:

TAC also do cool logotones, w/and w/o words. These are wordy, and in chronological order:

1 Like

Only Death can bring release.

4 Likes

Couple things:

This is grim in a way only the UK could muster for a PSA. The most equivalent thing this side of the pond would be MADD PSA’s.

Second: It is shocking to me how many people in my social circle cannot swim. Seemingly by virtue of not growing up as average middle class white Americans.

ETA: Swimming ability (if I was unclear) is a weird way privilege manifests.

6 Likes
5 Likes

I’ve been watching some Bergman lately, including the behind the scenes footage, and in one making of bit he acknowledges past trouble with hemorrhoids, so this skit seems extremely well researched.

4 Likes

This is the best British PSA. No arguments.

5 Likes

This one scared the crap out of me as a kid:

I think it was the first time I realised that children could die.

7 Likes

There was another one where a child tried to retrieve something from power lines, but that one showed the kid paralyzed afterwards being wheeled around. THAT WAS the one that gave me nightmares.

5 Likes

Yeah. Was it a kite? I think there was one with a kite.

Edit: Here’s the one with the kite. No wheelchair though. Also, I think that’s Stephen Fry narrating.

Edit II: Here’s an article about the Peter Powell Stunt-Kite featured in the ad.

6 Likes

That seems terrifyingly specific.

It begs the question, how many death’s by rug were there to warrant such a PSA?

4 Likes

I can’t hear that jingle without thinking about Threads now.

2 Likes