Odd and gruesome workplace safety ads that aired on TV

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/20/odd-and-gruesome-workplace-saf.html

6 Likes

Fan of horror gore that I am, these were great.

Except the first one with the hot oil. That one actual gives me the shudders.

11 Likes

Damn.
((this post must be 9 characters long))

3 Likes

I actually wish that the USA would air PSAs like that.
Especially for texting and driving/distracted driving.

10 Likes

How about the greatest safety video ever made?

… wait for it.

20 Likes

I remember these. And that’s really the most you can hope for from a 7-year-old campaign.

Previously:

[EDIT: Ninja’d on Klaus.]

6 Likes

In all of these “accidents” more than one thing was wrong, and fixing any one of those things would have prevented the fatality. We get so used to things going wrong and nothing happening that we discount the odds of a confluence happening and everything going sideways.

Just like the recent “accident” in the news. Was it Boeing, the FAA’s approval, the airline’s maintenance or the pilot’s training at fault? You can’t split the blame like that. Any of the 4 could have solely prevented the accident, therefore all 4 are fully responsible.

5 Likes
7 Likes

I still have daymares about that one.

ME: Oh, how bad can they be…
[10 seconds in] YIKES!

8 Likes

That was pretty spectacular!

2 Likes

In college I had a summer job at the water district, and one of the things I looked forward to was the weekly edition of “Fatal Facts” that the worker’s comp guy would post on the bulletin board. The examples were always gruesome and extreme enough to be hilarious.

Given the behavior of most people working there, I was probably the only one that read them. I’ve never been around more charmed lives … by rights the place should have been paved with dead bodies.

6 Likes

If they had aired these in the U.S. they would have been much shorter, what with all the statements about management’s culpability in the accidents being edited out.

6 Likes

Love that movie!

For one thing, it taught me that the most effective way for men to solve problems is by YELLING AT EACH OTHER!

So many hapless fools, shaking hands with danger. :smile:

1 Like

Roger That! Texter almost got me this morning on the freeway, almost…

4 Likes

Maybe they need a video for management, too, full of details on fines, lawsuits, insurance penalties, and prison sentences. Many people avoid thinking about worst case scenarios, which makes it easier for companies to get workers who don’t know better. Solar panel installation is getting more popular in my area, and local firms publish pictures of work in progress - full of glaring safety and equipment problems. I doubt they consider the risk of falling.

5 Likes

They used to.

2 Likes

I am a professional trades health and safety educator in Ontario. I have never seen these. They are really good. Wish I had a version not recorded on a potato so I could show them in class.

4 Likes

Ohhhkayyy, time to clean the vomit off my keyboard. . .

when i was in college i did a summer job at the steel mill my father worked at. i never saw any fatalities or even any time-lost accidents but i saw way too many close calls. your point about close-calls is well taken.

one time a guy was using a chain wrench to remove one of the carbon electrodes used to melt the scrap which had broken and someone had forgotten to shut off the power to it. there were 16000 volts, hundreds of watts, and hundreds of amps running through it. from where i was in the mill i saw a bright flash and then a hard hat flying through the air towards my area. the bright flash was the chain wrench vaporizing and then the guys hard hat got blown off his head. the guy was knocked out but he came to in about 10 minutes and 10 minutes later went back to work.

i also saw the slide-gate on a ladle washout and got to watch the crane operator spread the molten steel and slag all over the slag pit. it was lively and would have been deadly if anyone had been under it.

4 Likes