Gruesome Soviet safety posters got their point across

[Read the post]

4 Likes

Cheaper than actual safety measures, like shields?

I had fun with one of these posters a while ago:

Don’t know if it’s Soviet or some other country; it seems more polished somehow (the original, that is).

7 Likes

Was not posters of safety. Was maintenance manuals. Like Capitalism, Communism oiled with blood of workers.

7 Likes

I would so use some of those for cubicle decoration.

5 Likes

If you think the guy with the hammer to the face got it bad you should see the one who got the sickle.

9 Likes

Forklift Driver Klaus, anyone?

10 Likes

@frauenfelder your link is borked. Here’s the correct one.

5 Likes

In Soviet Russia, hammer nails you!

1 Like

“The general message from the government to the public was this: terrible things will happen to you if we don’t take care of you and watch over your every step,” according to Oleg Atbashian.

I realize he is an actual Russian designer, but that is the opposite of how these read to me. If anything, they’re promoting personal responsibility: you have to be careful around all this incredibly unsafe equipment. If the message were “government takes care of you” the equipment would be properly designed in the first place.

2 Likes

Came here to post this, was not disappointed. (And an example I always pull out when people claim that Germans don’t have a sense of humour).
I’ve heard of people being shown this in actual health and safety courses.

They did it wrong - a 19th century worker’s solidarity/protest song clearly mentions a different body part

All wheels are standing still, If a strong arm so will.

(it sounds better in German, though…)

1 Like

I can attest to that.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.