Watch this Italian translator's hilarious expressions as she tries to make Trump sound normal

Beats crying !

2 Likes

And dying…

1 Like

So are we at war with Italy now? I feel like the US is about to be at war with Italy over this.

1 Like

That’s because she was! (We all agree he’s actually a Lizard Person, right?)

(That was the intention: a caption for the lede image.)

1 Like

The Italians are far more advanced, we better watch our USA butts.

italian-memes-fet-696x392

italian-women-pose-in-an-arms-factory-with-a-large-39630711

2 Likes

Tim Apple says too soon. :wink:

2 Likes

TBH I often wonder how anyone can translate the babble emitted by politicians. The point is that these people avoid making discrete statements (aka sense) at any cost. That’s completely contradictional to a translators’ work. Trump at least uses short and simple sentences. I really feel sorry for anyone having to deal with Mrs Merkels verbal output. It’s not just as complicated as German gets but often not even semantically makes any sense.

I hope she translated it accurately. (Noting that, yes, that’s what he actually said…) Every person Trump interacts with should have full knowledge of how cognitively and behaviorally dysfunctional he is. Even when Trump’s speech is simply transcribed by US journalists, they accidentally end up helping him by making his speech more coherent by editing it. His gibberish gets completely excised, his weird meanderings are lost when what he says is reduced to short paragraphs (because that’s the only length at which he’s coherent), and most of the discussion is about what people thought he was saying in his more coherent moments. But those coherent moments are actually pretty rare.

I’ve been saying this about translators since he got elected. So often it’s impossible to know what he’s talking about, it’s literally impossible to translate. In between his broken sentences, incoherent - and just made-up - words, incredibly vague references to things that may or may not be real… What a nightmare. How do you accurately convey his cognitive impairment while also his (presumed) meaning?

I’ve read a bit in the past about translators having issues with him (understatement), but not much on what their translations ended up being like.

Gods yeah. On top of being impossible, it would also be demoralizing.

Limited information can absolutely make things untranslatable to some languages, but to be fair, so much of what Trump says is incomprehensible in English. He uses made up words, speaks in half sentences and frequently his speech consists of vague references to various things, but you can’t tell what he’s talking about. Or even if the things he’s talking about are real, the same subject, etc. And that’s not even counting when the things he says are coherent but nonsensical and false. So yeah, there are major translation issues with almost everything he says.

Oh gods, is Trump… actually a mis-tuned radio repeating snatches of other people’s speech? It might explain some things…

2 Likes

Turmp? Offensive Russo-centric views? Working against diplomacy? I never heard the like

2 Likes

Joke of this nature about Trump just don’t work, you just have to wait long enough to see the parody became the truth.
Plus it’s in the middle tweet quoting of real statements.

I am amused by his tendency to use the phrase “most people don’t know this,” before revealing some fact that is not news to anybody that was paying attention in 8th grade.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s the tiny radio receiver that Putin embedded in his tooth, picking up stray signals.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.