Japan's first lady pretended not to speak English when she sat next to Trump at G20 dinner

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/20/japans-first-lady-pretended.html

6 Likes

She was too busy protecting her pussy.

27 Likes

“Japan’s first lady pretended not to speak English when she sat next to Trump at G20 dinner”

Totally appropriate. Trump just barely speaks English anyway.

71 Likes

Better question - why would anyone speak with Trump? Speak to? Sure. Speak with? Why bother?

27 Likes

wINNER wINNER cHICKEN dINNER!!!

18 Likes

Trump also has a pretty great command of the English language when he’s reading from a script.

4 Likes

And none of the words are too long.

12 Likes

Exactly - if she spoke, she’d have to listen to his reply.

9 Likes

Are we sure he even tried, or did he just make that assumption because she’s Japanese and he’s a miserable excuse for a human being?

45 Likes

I would have played dead and slumped face-first into my appetizer.

37 Likes

I mean. I have done that a few times in Japan when I didn’t want to be bothered by drunk Australians. Sort of appropriate.

7 Likes

Wow - I cannot, for the life of me, imagine why!

6 Likes

I agree - I bet he didn’t even try. I don’t think he’s the type to initiate conversation with people he doesn’t know.

1 Like

Sometimes you can say a lot by saying nothing at all.

17 Likes

Beat me to it!

2 Likes

I’d honestly rather have Bush Jr. vomit on me than listen to 45 for an hour and a half straight.

23 Likes

Next time she ought to pretend that Trump doesn’t speak English.

9 Likes

she had probably heard Trump speak before and didn’t realize he knew English.

on edit: huh, amazing nobody already thought of that.

14 Likes

Worth noting that Japanese PM Abe and his wife visited the US in February and had dinner with Trump (and the PM played golf with Trump). So, either she’s kept up the no-English act for at least two official dinners, or (more likely) Trump is just talking out of his ass, and possibly had no patience with her accent.

Also: the interpreter Trump brought with him to dinner was a Japanese-English interpreter - this is his claimed reason why he spoke to Putin for possibly an hour with no American government person (ie adult supervision) present. Mrs. Abe may have been more comfortable conversing through (or with!) the interpreter than trying to deal with Trump’s inanities and insanities unfiltered.

24 Likes

9 Likes