Watch this monkey's wonderful reaction to a magic trick

Originally published at: Watch this monkey's wonderful reaction to a magic trick | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I now know how to say “he’s a witch, burn him!” in monkey.

13 Likes

Those tricks aren’t that impressive. Maybe I should switch careers and become a monkey magician.

13 Likes

The real trick is apes convincing people that they are monkeys.

16 Likes

“BY CROM! What sorcery is this?”

10 Likes

I kind of think we should show these guys more respect. It might be fun to offer them different kinds of entertainment. We’ve stuck them in prison for our own amusement, maybe we own them some appreciation in return. It could be a fun thing all around. Good magic tricks, maybe live music and Cirque de Sol acts might be great fun. Just a bit of kindness for our cousins.

11 Likes

Starts Freaking Out GIF

6 Likes

“Get thee from my sight, evil sorcerer!!”

6 Likes

can’t show these without the dolphin performance

14 Likes

A list of “uplifted” characters from David Brin’s “The Uplift War” (part of Brin’s Uplift Universe).

Neo-Chimpanzees

• Fiben Bolger - A chimp with the commission in the planetary militia. Friend of Robert Oneagle. Plays a large role in the resistance effort.
  • Sylvie - Female chimp who initially collaborates with the invaders.
  • Gailet Jones - Female chimp, graduate student at the planetary university. Leads a branch of the resistance after invasion.
  • Max - Member of the Resistance, a chen, and former servant to Gailet Jones
  • Irongrip” - a probie (probationary) chen outcast
3 Likes

Not to be overly-pedantic @pesco (well, OK, yes) but that looks like an orangutan, which is an ape, not a monkey.

ETA: It’s probably also worth noting that the macaque in the top video is exhibiting a great deal of stress and is showing gestures related to threats. It’s probably highly stressed by the interaction, but also caged in.

Here:

Macaques present aggressive or threatening stances through raised eyebrows, staring, and opening the mouth to show the teeth, or having the lips protrude to form a round mouth. When the mouth is widely open and the animal is yawning, or the corners of the lips are fully retracted revealing the upper and lower teeth, it signals that they are distressed . . .

And this:

Facial expression of threats are quite similar across macaque species and typically involve staring at the opponent with eyes wide open, mouth open without showing teeth, eyebrows raised, and ears flattened.

I’m not sure this is a “cute” interaction.

3 Likes

You’re gonna be blown away when the monkeys offer to pay you in bitcoin!

3 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.