Watch this paleoanthropologist answer a creationist's question about evolution being "just a theory"

Buuh? Evolution is an actual scientific theory, I assure you.

Like @some_guy, I would really appreciate if you’d talk more about which scientific theories you think ToE violates, or at least link to some sort of literature that makes this case in an intellectually honest way.

Now, it is true that there are always evidential anomalies for any given scientific theory. Newton’s theory of gravity had its predictions about the perihelion or Mercury’s orbit and properties of the luminiferous aether, for example. I’d argue that its replacement – General Relativity – does not predict dark matter and dark energy and that they therefore constitute anomalies for General Relativity.

But to replace Newton’s theory of gravity, you needed some similarly predictive theory such as general relativity. Science doesn’t really proceed via falsification – you don’t throw out an incredibly useful theory because it fails one or two tests. You have to propose a similarly predictive theory.

Incidentaly, “God made that” is not a predictive theory. Any set of facts is consistent with the hypothesized desires of an omnipotent entity, because such a thing could make literally anything happen. So “intelligent design” cannot be the sort of theory that could ever replace evolution. You’d need something better than evolution.

But realistically, evolution is so well-confirmed that it seems unlikely that the core idea will ever be rejected any more than the core idea of gravity changed when relativity was adopted: people still think gravity makes masses attracted to each other even if they change their mind about how it actually does that. Similarly, our understanding of evolution is changing all the time: research suggests that it may be more sudden in some limited cases than many 20th century geneticists believed (revival of the “hopeful monster” hypothesis), that viri and parasites play a much larger role in evolution than ever before supposed; there have been many findings about the ways in which DNA is not simply like computer code, and it’s been discovered that some sections of what was once called “junk DNA” are actually functional and very important. But none of that really calls into question the core insight that life on earth evolved via natural selection among variations caused by genetic mutation.

Also note that it was scientists using evolutionary theory and the evidence at hand to come to those conclusions, not laypeople who don’t believe in evolution for spiritual reasons.

6 Likes

The most reasonable answer would’ve been: “Here’s your tuition refund and now get the fuck outta here!”

Actually I think this question was a perfect example of what we educators call a “teachable moment.”

10 Likes

Yes, but can you explain speciation while drunk? That’s the ultimate measure of a scientist: http://boingboing.net/2013/07/24/drunk-science-charles-q-choi.html

He did. “Scientists use the word theory differently… It’s been tested scientifically. It’s been demonstrated to have happened.

No. Scientists study the natural world, that which can be observed and probed and tested. The fact that science discovers stuff that is contrary to religious dogma does not mean there is an intent to subvert religion. In fact Darwin sat on his ideas for a long time, resisting the urge to publish because he knew it would cause an uproar among the faithful; he wasn’t interested in starting a fight, but he knew what he observed would cause one.

Religion has always been threatened by reality. It is religion that pits itself against science.

12 Likes

When you say myth, do you mean “Tradition”?

There are really two parts to her question as I see it, the part where she implies “it’s just a theory” which he does answer quite well, and the part where she is looking for a way to define the “validity of our lives.” Convincing her that evolution is true won’t answer that moral/philosophical question. Maybe that’s a good thing, a few dark-nights-of-the-soul might be revelatory at her age.

1 Like

From watching this video I am not sure that the student wasn’t pleased, or entirely satisfied, by the professor’s fact-based answer.

I figure she probably went home and told everybody a story where she was the cool, respectful kid in the Chick tract who reduces the professor to a sweaty, shouting bundle of nerves who ends up quitting his job, taking his framed portrait of banana-eating “Big Daddy” with him. It’s the flip side of martyrbation, imagining that your (always calm and collected) recounting of dogma makes those secular types go nuts with rage.

1 Like

Probably. In her ‘world’, that’s how you take care of the heathens!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.