Watch this restoration of beat-up 1960s Rolex watch

Originally published at: Watch this restoration of beat-up 1960s Rolex watch | Boing Boing

4 Likes

As with fine art restoration, cleaning and servicing of luxury watches has a “Ship of Theseus” aspect to it. The skill and craftsmanship in getting this watch clean and tight and functional is impressive enough, but what really makes this special is the artistry involved in preserving the patina and minor dents and scratches that will remind the owner that this was his grandfather’s everyday timepiece.

10 Likes

I agree. Loved the outcome when he was done.

6 Likes

It is good to see a well-lighted and focused video. I particularly enjoyed his running commentary.

3 Likes

Nice video.

I was all proud of myself a few weeks ago when I took apart an iPhone to replace the battery. I guess I didn’t do such a great thing after all.

I love taking things apart and putting them back together but I never attempt it if I’m not willing to throw the thing in the trash. If it has more than 3 parts I also have to take photos every step of the way because I can never remember how they go.

I know this guy is an expert but my gosh, to remember how to put a watch back together is amazing.

2 Likes

Which is why I’ll never, ever attempt to take a watch apart!
Lovely video, a joy to watch someone who really enjoys and appreciates fine mechanical movements.
Also, that really was a manky bracelet! Because I have a number of watches, a couple that are now becoming collectible and valuable don’t get worn to work, and several that are cheaper beaters, none get quite that mucky, but I do give the backs a clean just to stop the buildup of human detritus.

2 Likes

Oh the stories those old watches could tell.

GIF by Supercompressor

3 Likes

Marshall’s channel is a relaxing delight.

Watch someone lovingly restore a beautiful piece of engineering is a nice way to wind down after a hard day.

And that watch is beautiful - I’d love one if anyone has one hanging around…

1 Like

Marshall is a firm believer in maintaining the patina of all the watches he works on. I find these videos fascinating, and that he does this as a hobby is even more remarkable.

Disclosure: I’m a Patreon subscriber to his channel

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.