Watch this trailer for a new movie about anarchist pop-punks Chumbawamba

I really wish it didn’t have to be.

4 Likes

Roger that!

4 Likes

Immigration isn’t included in LGBTQ+ though. At the time neither was transgender, although inclusion was only about 5 years away.

Chumbawamba have done other songs that are supportive of immigrants. Just let us have this one.

5 Likes

I was flipping channels one night and landed on them being interviewed on The Tonight Show. Leno goes “so, somebody told me you guys are anarchists!?
and they were all “yes. and?”

I never followed them but remember the name from reading Maximum Rock -N- Roll in highschool (I mean, it’s impossible to forget that name.) when Tub Thumping came out, I was like “there’s no way it’s that underground punk band, but OTOH, it’s much less likely that a different band independently derived a name like Chumbawamba”

2 Likes

“He drinks a whisky drink
He drinks a vodka drink
He drinks a lager drink
He drinks a cider drink
NEW LABOUR SOLD OUT THE DOCKERS
JUST LIKE THEY’LL SELL OUT THE REST OF US!”

Unfortunately the video doesn’t include the bit when Danbert Nobacon emptied a bucket of ice water over deputy prime minister John Prescott.

6 Likes

My fave song from them:

1 Like

I also liked Flux of Pink Indians. This one ended up being the only one I can still listen to tho:

2 Likes

Oh, yeah, that’s down the hall, past the Soros health spa, then take a left, 3 doors past Antifa world holdings inc.

1 Like

To be fair, this was the 90s, and lots of formely underground bands were getting attention.

2 Likes

It has been over a day, and I have seen this comment several times, but I am still dyslexic reading this as Anarchist Gardening Commission and now I want one.

4 Likes

One of my favourite albums growing up. I learned so much about the hypocrisy of adults and the world through this.

1 Like

You can’t book them, they just turn up and sort everything out :wink:

5 Likes

Don’t dream it, be it!

5 Likes

I’m imagining them ignoring NIMBYs (NIMFYs?) and HOAs, and planting fruit and vegetables in front gardens if the people living there consent.

3 Likes

loop grow GIF by Gerhard Funk

6 Likes

“Your lawn’s a vegetable plot now, lady, enjoy the fresh produce.”

2 Likes

Sounds like a Portlandia skit.

Indeed! Was just listening to it.

Never made it past Tubthumper… so nostalgic. Never knew they infiltrated pop for a platform. Very cool.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.