Watch: UK terror suspect lunges at detective during questioning

Originally published at: Watch: UK terror suspect lunges at detective during questioning | Boing Boing

4 Likes

16 years for planning a terrorist mass shooting, 13 years for the poor bastards trying to sell a handgun.

Both of those sentences seem appropriate to me. I can’t see any good reason to own a firearm in the UK; aside from single shot hunting weapons for people who can prove that they have a legitimate reason for requiring one.

15 Likes

16 years for planning a terrorist mass shooting, 13 years for the poor bastards trying to sell a handgun. Britain!

I came armed with the same quote. Yeah - this is what gun control should look like! I wonder if Rob has gone a bit native. :wink:

8 Likes

Yeah, this wasn’t just a case of “selling a gun,” it was “selling a gun on the black market.” They didn’t know it was going to be used for a terrorist act, but in Britain, they could be pretty sure it was going to be used for some kind of crime.

13 Likes

Life sentence with a minimum of 16 years for Little.
Maximum of 13 years and 6 months for one of the three convicted suppliers.

3 Likes

I don’t have a lot of sympathy for anyone who supplies a firearm to someone who shouldn’t have one. If a random stranger asks to buy a gun from you, it’s a fairly safe assumption that they intend to murder someone with it, and if you sell it to them, you’re signaling that you’re fine with that as long as you get your cut.

In the absence of any more specific laws on illegal firearm sales, it wouldn’t seem like a huge stretch to charge the seller with ‘conspiracy to commit X’, where X is whatever crime the buyer eventually committed.

6 Likes

The only handgun you can purchase in Britain is on the black market.
Every person who deals in black market handguns is a bastard.
One fact and one opinion.

Sorry if you think that’s a bit harsh - I fucking hate guns.

5 Likes

I guess Rob left the UK after 1996:

Handguns are illegal here now.

(mostly)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.