WATCH: 'United 93' shaky cam clip, stabilized

Most of the time, I just find the shaky cam thing annoying. Every once in a while it helps the scene, but mostly it looks to me like they have a toddler filming with a cell phone. To me it is distracting, and pulls me out of the immersive experience that a film is supposed to be. I would prefer that they hire a good writer if they want to make a scene seem tense.
T

The dominent mode of thinking on September 11 2001 was confusion. iirc, it wasn’t until the following days that people lept to the wrong conclusions

It wasn’t tension that Greenglass was after.

Except that it distracts from the fantasy. Movies aren’t real. So wait, why is my attention being called to the existence of the camera? Why is there lens flare in Interstellar? My eyes don’t experience lens flare, cameras do. In this case it isn’t even real lens flare, it’s edited in with CGI!

Hops off soapbox.

Be interesting to see 2 more alterations to see the effect on the mood:

Remove that haunting background score for both the shakicam and stabilized version.

For me, the unintrusive yet powerful background music accounts for a major part of the scenes’ intensity. Shakicam just makes things “hectic.” With the music, it becomes “foreboding.”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.