Watching words lose their origin

I redirected him because the BBS video no-show is a known error, and he would encounter it again. Usually the vids will display correctly on the main site. :slight_smile:

Well exactly - who follows motocross anymore? Not @jlw, not I, as far as I know nobody of my acquaintance.

1 Like

last night, I watched this video on full frame vs crop sensor

Plus, a good bit of

is on “camera movements”, Can’t do any of those on a cameraphone.

Excuse me-- it’s Mötley CrĂŒe. The first umlaut is silent.

1 Like

Try telling kids the symbol means ‘floppy disk’ and they will just start laughing.

Heck most of them don’t even recognize the screeching modem sound of dialup internet.
(come to think of it “dial” something on the phone is already obsolete)

Looking at the camera logo, I notice that there are some old style telephone logos (I see them on trucks signs preceding the phone numbers and realize we haven’t really had those phones for ? thirty years.

People still use the blacksmith terms "irons in the fire’,
and the term “leading” as in the space between the lines when typesetting copy actually is the old style typesetter’s term referring to strips of ‘lead’. So I can tell when someone pronounces it as ‘leeding rather then ledding’ they don’t know the origing.

2 Likes

dammit, i knew i was going to screw that up. 'tis true, i was never a big fan.

Actually, I’d like to hear the name as pronounced by a German speaker.

When Mötley CrĂŒe visited Germany, singer Vince Neil said the band couldn’t figure out why “the crowds were chanting, Mutley Cruh! Mutley Cruh!”

wikipedia

1 Like

With a straight face, “The Frugal Gourmet” Jeff Smith once claimed that “irons in the fire” referred to the waffle irons used by cooks on the old west cattle drives. not saying I believe him, but hey, it was PBS, so
 possibly?

1 Like

I seriously hope that we will go beyond the save function before that happens.

As a German speaker, I don’t quite get that

Is “Mutley Cruh” supposed to be a rendition of the actual German pronunciation of the umlauts, or does it just describe a strong German accent in general? I certainly don’t hear any umlauts when I try to pronounce “Mutley Cruh”

I remember when gas was .87 a gallon.

2 Likes

But what about those of us who dislike clicking on video links?
(with reason)

I think that is a German pronunciation after two rounds of approximation by people lacking the necessary sounds in their own language.

2 Likes

And “Capital letters”, which were from when the first and last letters of a line were in Majuscule, and in turn named after the top and bottom of a column, which has had no functionality since the columns were made of wood, lo several thousand years ago (all the marble/stone greek (-style) columns you see are mimicking the functional design of wooden columns).

oh, the price of regular gasoline!

I always figured mëtal umlÀuts were strictly to look cÞÞl.

The topic reminds me of something I read about ‘undead idioms’ (or something like that), phrases that used to be real language, went out of fashion but clinged on to a sort of twilight existance limited to cheesy puns in ad copy and dad jokes long after people stopped using the words in earnest. One of the examples given was “have a whale of a time”.

Speaker with a bookend holding up those silvery music disc thingys.

Oops, my mistake. Obviously if your circle of friends don’t follow it, it’s probably not worth following anyway. I’ll get hold of all the motocross clubs and tell them they’re wasting their time.
Hopefully it should all be gone in a week or two.

1 Like

hmm?

You seem a bit confused. Given that the Classical orders were an attempt to rigorously define a grammar for architecture, the confusion is out of place. Perhaps you are thinking of the Triglyph