Watching words lose their origin

From your own link:

The capital rests on the shaft. It has a load-bearing function, which
concentrates the weight of the entablature on the supportive column, but
it primarily serves an aesthetic purpose.

I cannot find back the source that discussed stone capitals as having been derived from a functional wood feature. They may have been rigorously defined in grammatical architecture, but they were decorative vestige of an earlier functional requirement. Or perhaps I dreamed the whole thing. :-(

Hrm. I’m probably thinking of skeuomorphs and other vestigal design elements. I did find one unsourced blog-entry that discusses capitals as skeuomorphs.

That is the word I’ve been searching for since this was posted.

Basically, “kick-start(er)” is becoming a linguistic skeuomorphrph

Interesting. But so much classical architecture is focused on the interplay of various standard elements to form a harmonious whole. That blogpost is illustrated with and concentrates on standardized elements without considering whether changing those elements would affect the harmonious relations among these standard elements and thus the distinctiveness of the building.

Mine does, because I play this at her quite often. Around the 3-beer mark usually.

Fascist!

sorry, couldn’t help myself

If memory serves somoeone from that same era declared there was only one way to do so.

Rockers of the period were also unable to drive 55.

1 Like

They were saluted as they went past though,

Mostly we wanted to rock and roll all night, and party every day.

Me too. Am I evil?

Are you armed with a Love Gun?

There’s some level of meta going on in the first two posts that I can’t quite pin down… Granted, I don’t know much about these things (see my epic fail somewhere on this board with the spelling of Lynyrd Skynyrd), but I was tickled to see the band arrive in an ambulance; IIRC, the genesis of this lyric was a bandmember’s revival from an OD by having andrenaline injected directly into his heart.

If you don’t get the joke its on you. Don’t ask the teller to explain it. It won’t be funny and you will probably end up more annoyed.

Heck, my girl wants to party all the time.

Don’t be fooled by all the media hype and marketing; out in the field those things jam more often than not. You’re better off with a Love Slingshot - 60% of the time it works 100% of the time. Plus the ammo’s a lot easier to replace quickly.

Or not. Surely the signage is designed to deceive?

“Don’t worry darling, that’s not a speed trap. They’re filming the latest Downton episode with period equipment, for authenticity.”

Even more obsolete, the Word ruler references the old IBM Selectric tab settings - no wonder no one knows how to use them properly.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.