Water isn't the most hydrating beverage according to new scientific study

How has no one posted the anchorman milk clip yet

1 Like

Drinking a cow’s lactation fluid is not wise for a variety of well documented reasons, but the government props the industry up and supports ad campaigns to keep people drinking “wholesome” milk. They have to use a weasel word like “wholesome” because milk is not nutritious or healthy. Per the study, drink a little more water and you will get just as hydrated. Down with milk!

4 Likes

Lager?? What about some proper heavy Belgian, or a Russian Imperial Stout?

7 Likes

There’s a reason it’s nicknamed “Lazarus-ade”

3 Likes

That’s not what the study says.

It says that the elements in milk – lactose sugar, protein, and fat – help it digest more slowly and hydrate over time rather than right away. And that the sodium in milk keeps the liquid from converting to urine as quickly as pure water.

Drinking more water won’t give you those benefits, but drinking a non-animal-derived milk (soy, almond, oat) with sugar, protein, fat, and sodium likely would.

19 Likes

Big error bars

6 Likes

8 Likes

I was just reading about the importance of potassium in hydration, and the author suggested glass of water with a pinch of salt, juice of half a lemon, and a teaspoon of honey as the optimum rehydration liquid. That sounds nicer to me than milk if I need rehydrating.

9 Likes

I’m hoping these are two unrelated stories and not a reboing…

water

15 Likes

I’ve been drinking it over Gatorade. Less sugar. I get dehydrated easily in summer, don’t deal well with heat and sun, so I drink a lot of this shit.

They make and “advanced care” version formulated for adults. But there’s a product called Hydrolyte that comes in fizzy tablet form. You just a couple into, IIRC 500ml of water and go. Usually keep some in the car.

3 Likes

What an odd way to avoid saying “milk.”

Oh well, if you’re not going to drink it, I’ll have your cappuccino.

11 Likes

I would drink a whole lot more of it if it wasn’t so crazy-ass expensive. One bottle is about $8 at stores around me.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: it’s a thing in endurance sports. Milk. It’s got all you need.

7 Likes

Part of why i get the tablets 10 bucks for 20 tablets. 2/drink if you follow the directions. There’s also powdered baby juice which is cheaper than buying a jug, particularly the generic or store brands. And 7-elevens seem to have started stocking cheap adult strength electrolyte solution in their drink coolers. Costs about the same as a bottle of water.

3 Likes
8 Likes

I do enjoy drinking the fluids that stream out of the crushed embryos of citrus plants.

12 Likes

Sorry to belabor the point, but wasn’t the interest in the point of this study already considered back in the day when they developed Gatorade?

4 Likes

Does this explain why joggers drink chocolate milk?

3 Likes

Citation needed

And again.

Just because you do not like it does not make the drinking of it by others unwise, unhealthy or un-nutritious.

12 Likes

7 Likes