We are all just two or three crises away from the street

At some point is Glenn Beck gonna show up here and start telling us to buy gold and bury it beneath our garage floors?

6 Likes

$200 in wallet at all time. Donā€™t mug me. Itā€™ll buy you a bus ticket almost anywhere.

(Also, jebus Iā€™ve used that fail safe a couple of times.)

2 Likes

BTW, I am not a Glen Beck/end time/hoarder. I frankly think ā€˜savingā€™ needs to be, well, rebranded. Yes, save 15% of your paycheck, but how do we do that?

Dragons.

Eta

As an example, I got served with a $6k IRS notice, along with a $7k car repair on the same day. Who will i pay first?

2 Likes

You could try stashing some gold. Even if it gets illegal, nobody has no know you have it. In case when you got placed against the wall, you may exchange it for currency on black market. Or wait for better time when it is possible to legally exchange it back. Though depending on the law and country, you may get registered in official database when buying gold (that happens in Poland: up to some value they will just ask you for some name, above they will request an ID.)

1 Like

IRS, because they may charge you additional fees and put you in jail. Which will probably put you on loop of owning them money for being punished for owning them moneyā€¦ On the other side you are probably going to just loose car. It is bad anyway but you keep your freedomā€¦

Nah, USD is safe (ish). We took down a trillion dollars in capital to pay for two pointless wars, and our markets went up.

If Iā€™m gonna bury anything, its potatoes (gawd they are good. Need some potato leek soup?)

2 Likes

Good intuition. Trash the car, and make minimum payments to the IRS since my return on my hoard is greater than their fees.

ā€¦

Which they collect taxes onā€¦

ā€¦

Feck just pay them to go away :smiley:

1 Like

This way you will become the only potato based meals vendor in crisis zone, and as such you will be able to dragon as much gold as you want from those who stashed gold and want to eat.

Todays Dilbert is about this actually:

1 Like

ā€¦you have uncovered my dasterdly plan!!

But seriously, I am not a hoarder, but if the shit hits the fan and you need a farmer look me up.

1 Like

Will remember. Right now I am collecting money to make car mechanics course for amateurs. It will not let me work as mechanic because you need a license, but I will be able to fix some more stuff in my car. I am able to do some basic repairs like exchanging break pads, etc. It saves me some money.

2 Likes

Letā€™s trade some day. I grow some mean artichokes, and my trucks Lifters are mighty sticky :smile:

1 Like

If there will be a chance, why not :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If by ā€˜weā€™ you mean North Americans, you might be right. ā€˜Weā€™ of Europe are generally luckier.

1 Like

Wonder how long it will lastā€¦

2 Likes

And no more interference engines for you. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Interesting. Thanks.

Never got the after apocalpse gold thing. You have petrol run my car/generator. Please give me some for a soft heavy yellow metal thats no use in making tools/structures.

3 Likes

There are always people with low enough incomes that they will be close to the edge. But many, many more people live on the edge without even realizing itā€¦Most people donā€™t save as much as they could. And those savings could bridge many economic stumblesā€¦Of course the central point of the article is anti-poor-shaming. And really even WITH insurance, there are so many games the health insurance companies will play that any of us could end in economic trouble with a health crisisā€¦

3 Likes

Water. Donā€™t forget water.

3 Likes

My personal policy is to never, EVER, get into debt. Even credit cards. Live within my means. I know it doesnā€™t protect me from a crisis, but Iā€™m never going to lose my living arrangements due to my own stupid spending. I pay for everything upfront. That way I know I OWN it.

4 Likes