Wealth of white U.S. families is 13 times greater than median black families, 10 times Latino families

That sounds like it for sure was a factor, though I don’t think it is enough to explain the huge difference. The number of WWII vets, assuming they were all eligible for these programs, was a bit over 10% of the population.

At any rate, it is such a complex issue there is no way 2 graphs will explain it.

Wealth of white U.S> families is 13 times greater than median black, and 10 times that of Latino families. First response: So what? There will always be inequality in income levels, with those working both smarter and harder the winners. Race has nothing to do with it. But “knowledge” does. The basic answers are right here. Listen, watch, and learn:

Working harder doesn’t guarantee a living wage. Being born to the right family does, no matter how lazy or stupid you are.

7 Likes

I call “racial realist” bingo!!

4 Likes

I’m from a poor family. And I’ve worked hard enough to hire employees of my
own. Every time, for myself and well and those I’ve hired over the years it
boils down to one thing. Attitude. When I’ve encountered a prospective
employee whose first question is "How much do I get paid? and How many
vacation days do I get? I pass. You know why? Because Attitude. I want to
hire someone who wants to work, who wants to contribute, who wants to take
advantage of learning so they can move on after a few years and do better
because of what they invested in with my hiring them. They invested in my
company with their time, talent and labor. And they invested in themselves
because of it. I encourage, teach, and point to a path upward and onward
for every employee I’ve hired. Plus, for myself, I was never hired by a
poor person. Only by one who offered me the same opportunity I’ve paid
forward by offering others. Family you’re born into? Only in rare cases.
Mostly: Attitude. Attitude. Attitude.

Assuming they never married or had children or grandchildren. Their families added up to a lot more than 10% of the population. And remember: all blacks (except for a token few) were redlined, not just returning vets.

1 Like

It’s so seldom that we hear about the experience of black atheist transgendered lesbians in this forum. How wonderful that your race, religion, gender and sexuality never caused you any prejudicial treatment, so that you could just concentrate on being a better you. If only all those straight white Christian men would just follow your very special example.

edited to add: with married parents, one being male and the other female.

6 Likes

You’ve complained why people are “snarky” with you (I think it was moderated) and not being tolerant of your difference in opinion.

The anger comes from being spoken down to from someone who is (perhaps willfully) ignorant about the problem of racism in this country.

Giving reasoned argument against something may be more tolerable than mansplaining economics to people who are likely to be more educated than you are by youtube videos.

That assumes that whites are equally racist against all non-whites, which is demonstrably fictitious.

3 Likes

If they earn degrees, they deserved them. Admission ≠ graduation.

2 Likes

Sure, but being admitted in itself should be considered a greater academic achievement, considering how difficult it is to flunk out of college. Student must REALLY mess up or be extremely stupid to be kicked out like that. There are easy courses to take to recover from academic probation, whereas there is no “easy admission” route that one can take if one didn’t get admitted first.

So no, I don’t think anyone who didn’t compete fairly to get in should deserve it.

Ah, good ol’ classism.

Have a look at that guy’s profile before you leap to his defence.

What, your people don’t talk like that? Mine shore do…

I see such things on BB quite a bit; usually it’s used when we’re fairly certain the person we’re responding to is some poor, lower-class white dude.

I don’t like classism. I just mentioned it on another thread, how I had to learn another way of speaking so I would be understood by ESL students and taken seriously by fellow Americans. Maybe I get a tiny bit too defensive because of it.

I see. So, if we find a person’s behavior repugnant, anything goes. For example, it would be okay if I used racist slurs against Ray Rice.

1 Like

The assumption that racism is equally applied to all populations and for the same amount of time in history is a major flaw.

There’s a pretty big assumption baked into that statement too. I honestly don’t think how my relatives were treated 200 years ago has much impact on who I am today or what I have.

Ah, okay. Sorry, thought you were objecting to the guy being criticised, not the language used to do so.

My bad. Carry on!

(as long as you do think he was a repugnant racist :))

Let’s see, numbers 1 and 8, right? Maybe number 10 too?

3 Likes

So they weren’t slaves then?

2 Likes

So they weren’t slaves then?

I have no idea, but probably not. It isn’t something my family ever talked about.