Wearable robotic exoskeleton that transforms into wheeled scooter

Originally published at: Wearable robotic exoskeleton that transforms into wheeled scooter | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Augments physical strength, but not speed apparently.

7 Likes

I’m not sure I understand the point—is this thing meant to be used as a mobility device for people with physical disabilities? The video makes it look like the user has to put at least as much effort into standing and walking as they would without the thing.

10 Likes

This is not the Robotech Cyclone I was expecting from the title…

8 Likes

4 Likes

My super power is fueled by coffee, I’m old school.

5 Likes

Tch. You meant to say Genesis Climber Mospeada.

3 Likes

Hopefully the production model will be quieter and a little smoother-moving. Those ginormous toes make it unlikely house stairs will be climbable.

4 Likes

Yeah, the way it caught on the steps made me cringe, too - but it’s a very early prototype, basically, so it’s not fit for its (eventual) purpose.

1 Like

There’s a huge amount of tech development in Japan aimed at enhancing mobility/independence for old people. I’m sure that’s what this is intended for.

2 Likes

This is probably in my future!

Sooo - wheeled bipeds, ala Heavy Gear?

2 Likes

1 Like

I was thinking a Tachikoma from Ghost in he Shell.

Tatikoma_B2

3 Likes

My friends chair can go much faster- and is much quieter.

Needs more refinement. The being able to do stairs and rougher ground would be a huge plus.

2 Likes

Okay… I have a request…:

3 Likes

The future looks slow, loud and clunky. I gotta wear shades.

1 Like

I think I’ve seen this before:

4 Likes

Another model looks a lot faster, but might be for people with different physical conditions or abilities:

3 Likes

All right, Mospeada!