Webcomic about life at the appalling Elan School camp for troubled teens

Holy fucking shit. I am only about half way done and this has been a wild, tragic story.

6 Likes

The Three Card Monte of parental responsibility

5 Likes

Shortly after graduating from college I worked for one residential program, and had a three day interview for another, and while there were a few similarities between them and this horrific story, neither came close to this. They emphasized structure and responsibility for actions, but with heavy doses of empathy, compassion, and constructive confidence building. While ultimately not the direction my career took, I was proud of having been associated with both of them. Only a sadistic psychopath could have worked at, much less been proud of, this Hell hole. I applaud the young man for surviving, and encourage him to continue to find ways to address the abuse and trauma he suffered.

3 Likes

Y’all know what I do for a living. This is just…

Angry Ufc GIF

12 Likes

And do you know who they frequently employ as councilors? Former members of the program, who are frequently not over it at all.

In Scientology’s Narconon, sex for drugs is common., also in a number of other programs.

Another common thing is if someone doesn’t “get their mind right” about the program, and there’s no legal requirement to keep them, dump them at the nearest dirtbag motel or bus stop. No refunds.

5 Likes

If it’s a court-ordered thing, there’s still no requirement to keep them. It’s just that “failing them out of the program” also counts as a parole violation, and they get dumped at the local police station instead of the bus stop.

Or at the bus stop, but with a phone call to the police to tell them where to collect the parole violator.

5 Likes

I finished reading the webcomic. Really amazing, deeply disturbing. I wish the artist and protagonist the best, he went through a literal hell and managed not to be broken by it.

3 Likes

You might want to read it again.

He was broken utterly.

He managed to put himself together again, but a lot of the pieces he used were deformed and tarnished by his experience. That he managed to make something that can pass as “normal” is damn near miraculous.

A lot of those kids just got the broken part.

5 Likes

Well said.

2 Likes

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.