Welcome to the Divided States!

They do tend to be in places like NYC so it is understandable! :wink:

1 Like

ā€œAmerica!ā€ Not much has changed since 1961 (see 3:50 :arrow_right: 4:10). Although today there is less spontaneous dancing and singing.

7 Likes

Itā€™s that way in a lot of states. Austin is not like the rest of Texas, and thereā€™s a reason Boulder gets called ā€œthe bubbleā€. Colorado has been slowly getting more progressive in a lot of regions, but weā€™ve also got bastions of conservatism. Same goes for California.

4 Likes

Ugh, ainā€™t it the truth?

6 Likes

It is always interesting to look at the contrast between urban and rural in the United States.

EDIT: Here is 2010 United States Census map of urban areas, for contrast.

5 Likes

That looks rather offset. The blob thatā€™s supposed to be Seattle is like 50+ miles south of where Seattle should be.

1 Like

Portland?

EDIT: Or the map is offset.

1 Like

But Portlandā€™s the blob even further south. The blob Iā€™m looking at is definitely still in Washington. It just looks like itā€™s placed where Olympia should be. And Olympia, while the capital of my state, is definitely not its economic center.

1 Like

Oh, Utah.

3 Likes

I wonder if the data is geographically averaged? Maybe that weird second blob near the Washington Oregon border is a combination of Vancouver Washington, Portland Oregon, and multiple other nearby Washington and Oregon towns/citiesā€¦ ?

1 Like
4 Likes

That seems likely. When we still had that bigger version of the map (looks like it got resampled down) I saw a squiggle of orange that looked like it was supposed to be following the I-5 corridor toward Everett, which would make sense.

Just like SoCal, in Washington, we have a sort of mega-city along I-5. One town melts into the next. Sprawl. Iā€™m sure it happens with all the urban centers.

Edit:

Found the big map again:

Iā€™m referring to the little squiggle north of Washingtonā€™s ā€œSeattleā€ blob.

1 Like

Welcome to America

6 Likes

2 Likes

The real #murica here.

Yup. The spot thatā€™s ā€˜obviouslyā€™ Chicago actually runs from Milwaukee, WI to the north through Gary, IN to the east. Three states, one metro area. And thatā€™s small potatoes in comparison to the NYC and DC areas.

3 Likes

soā€¦ youā€™ve never understood my avatar this whole time, huh?

2 Likes

Weird that it says ATL when all your comments are BTL.

4 Likes

A South Korean boy band?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTL_(band)

3 Likes

Below the line? I guess thatā€™s better than BTB. (Below the belt!)

@noahdjango ermā€¦ uh, well about thatā€¦ oh wait, whatā€™s that behind you!?

5 Likes