'Wellness Guru' Belle Gibson lied about having brain cancer, profited from lying about bogus cancer cures

I have to agree with Xeni’s observations here. Especially the ones about those who, by publishing these kind of bullshit claims, lead people away from the solid science behind real treatments and into the murky paths of ‘alternative’ (i.e. made-up) medicine.

My wife (and partner of 28 years) was keen on alternative therapies, but reasonably discerning (although I had to bite my tongue over some that she felt were the ‘real deal’). She never smoked or drank, had a handful of vitamins every day (and no, please don’t bother linking to the other story about supplements and cancer…).

She fell ill last April, and passed away 5 weeks later, at the age of 46. The cause of death was ‘primary tumour of unknown origin’ (abdominal) - but once a secondary hit her liver, it was like she had been hit by a truck. So yeah, fuck cancer, and fuck any of these clowns who think it’s a good idea to mislead people who are seriously ill.

My advice to those who fret about following the right fad diet, or being pious avoiders of certain substances for fear of relatively rare consequences? Live your life as best you can. It’s a lottery, might as well bloody enjoy it!!!

9 Likes