Wells Fargo execs will lose a few millions out of the hundreds of millions they got for abetting massive fraud

What holiday are summer sausage and graham crackers associated with?

OK, here’s some fantasy justice.

Feds need to make fines in cash, NOT stock options.
They need to demand a punitive PERCENTAGE of the perpetrator’s income in fines, rather than an arbitrary slap-on-the-wrist dollar amount. If you refuse to pay within 15 days and have sheltered your liquid assets in hard-to-reach offshore accounts, then go directly to the Fed-pen delousing station and prepare for your new life of bunkmate subjugation.

When the media reports these things they should also place the penalties in context.

1. Explain the dollar amount of the fine.
  2. Compare the amount relative to the perp’s income.
  3. Compare the behavior of the white-collar scumbag to a baseline prison sentencing for criminal acts such as theft.

EXAMPLE:

“Bankster Jones was fined $50 million dollars in stock options which were essentially worthless after the stock lost value. The net result is that Jones paid out only 3% of his income in fines, with no chance of criminal penalties or jail time. Typical penalties for criminal acts such as grand theft include 20 years in jail for every $100,000 dollars stolen. This means that Banker Jones could have received 500 years in jail time if convicted upon equivalent charges.”

6 Likes

The Feast of Saint Anthony the Abbot
Feast day: January 17
Patron saint of butchers

5 Likes

By dissolved, I meant corporate charter revoked. But yeah, kill it many times over sounds good too, lol.

4 Likes

There was one time when I was in high school that my mom mentioned she couldn’t remember whether a million or a billion was larger, and by how much. I think it truly just looked like $BigNumber to her. And she isn’t dumb (Associate’s degree, and was in top 10% of her high school class, for example). I agree that news organizations aren’t willing to educate their audiences on these kinds of scale problems, but… I wonder how deep the problem goes, and what a real solution looks like.

@anon28219805: No argument there. just keep in mind that applied widely this leads to article headlines like Finland, home of the $103,000 speeding ticket. Except scaled for US inequality, fines for the very rich equal to a few days’ up to a few months’ income could be orders of magnitude higher. Not that I’d complain, but it looks shocking to a lot of people who have trouble with scale, and don’t realize that would mean less to them than a few hundred dollars means to most of us.

1 Like

It all makes perfect sense if you have enough money!

Here’s a solution!

Police departments and federal agencies across the nation are feeling the sting of backlash against “civil forfeiture”… X bankster has millions in ill gotten gains… Time to seize some properties and accounts etc… Surely this is money that was involved in a crime? Surely more probable cause and reasonable suspicion than some random dude who just happens to have a few grand in cash…

1 Like

…while the 0.1% have their personal pastry chefs throw together a quick baguette, before getting their helicopter chauffeur to deliver it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.